Psychology question - why does my neighbour behave like this?

, Cosmos, yes, as I said before - anything illegal like vandalisms or illegal cameras should be reported and police or council action taken
But unlikely to result in jail sentence or any form of ‘taken from society’

I’m not quite sure from OP whether those things are in the past or still happening - things that are annoying but not illegal - like talking loudly to dogs or slamming her own front door - there is no alternative really but to learn to cope them /ignore them or move.

1 Like

But why should we !!
Because of no hopers !! Grrrr
Sorry those people bring the worse out in me ……

No one should have to move house in order to distance themselves from a troublesome neighbour.
But if their behaviour is having a negative impact on mental or physical health, then it has to be the best solution, if the other person isn’t going anywhere, and they continue to be a pain in the neck.

In the same situation, i would move if possible to do so.

1 Like

Well, no, we shouldnt have to.

However reality remains that, unless her actions are illegal, the only option is to cope with them, ignore them or move away.

Or discreetly lob a brick through her window occasionally.

2 Likes

I suspect that this neighbour has a mental health/personality disorder. Perhaps that’s the real reason she is on disability benefits but she doesn’t want to admit it. I would treat her as someone who is not well rather than take any of this behaviour personally. She is taking her frustrations out on you because you are the nearest punchbag.

3 Likes

Exactly LOL

1 Like

Tempting but not worth getting a criminal conviction.

2 Likes

I said ‘discreetly’ Anise, and besides, if they did find out it was you, not exactly the crime of the month…

2 Likes

To allay suspicion you could always tie a message to it.Something like “Windows sale now on”

2 Likes

Lobbing a brick through someone’s window is pretty serious, and if you accidentally killed a person in the process, i think the courts would take a dim view.

But no one is going to toss a brick into a house here just hypothetical right?

I would definitely move rather than stay and take more nonsense from a neighbour like this one.

1 Like

I don’t think OGF was serious about the brick.

2 Likes

No not serious Anise and Annie… :009:

2 Likes

So in seriousness the situation remains that one copes with it, by ignoring it or false friendliness or whatever, or moves.

I guess if making up imaginary retribution like throwing bricks is a coping mechanism, use it - but I think such suggestions just exacerbate the situation.

ETA I mean exacerbate it by growing more head space over it in your mind.

Get straight to the point with her, and say “ what is your problem “
You might be surprised at her answer !

These mental health issues can be a great danger, like the elderly woman who was knocked off her bike and killed in the Cambridge area a few years ago. I should give her a wide berth and keep a record of any behavioural problems.

Yes, it most certainly is worth keeping notes, times, days etc. Not a very nice thing to constantly have on your mind but if you do find you need a solicitor they could prove invaluable.

Thank you, everyone, for your comments and support. I’ve been keeping notes and photos for 4 years - I have 100 pages so far! To testify under oath that I was plotting to murder her and her children, and how PETRIFIED she is of me - all she’s done for 4 years (and counting) is to try to get a rise out of me…and she hasn’t yet nor will she ever as I am an adult. She knows I pull in daily at 3:30 p.m. - this has been the time for the past 22 years, yet coincidentally, she often weeds the property line at that very time… My driveway is the property line. She is BEGGING for me to say or do something. LOL If I feared my neighbor, I would avoid them at all costs. As soon as I enter my driveway, I am audio and video-recorded by 4 cameras. I am bombarded with warning signs of her home security system, her watch dog, for me to be polite with MY dog, with her property line stakes, with her special window film that she can watch me 24 hours a day… She is embarrassing herself. She lives in a shanty and invests in all of this nonsense. Our house is beautifully maintained and I am a working professional - she is home 24/7 scheming nonsense. I don’t have any cameras or signs, and I leave my blinds open. I hope people see through this nonsense. What a bully.

P.S. The video recording is not illegal where I live. The audio recording is, but there’s no way I can prove it. She listens, like I said, as she does things to irritate immediately after - for ex., our privacy planters with trees along our driveway (property line) were praised by a different neighbor, and the next day, she lined the property line with paint buckets of weeds. Not a coincidence.

P.S. I didn’t mean to be mean by calling her house a shanty. It’s not a shanty - but it is not as well-groomed as my house. Some people aren’t house people. She doesn’t work and her husband rarely works, so that is understandable that funds are low. I’m just tired of being bullied by someone I was so good to. It is such a slap in the face. We helped furnish their house years ago and she got all of my kids good outgrown clothes…

URGHHH

I am cutting off notifications of this post now. Thank you, everyone, for your support! I think I answered my own questions about why she has to be noticed - I am still bugging the crap out of her so she is trying to convince me she is so happy yet still a victim of me. She’s also hoping for a confrontation to prove her victimhood and extend this chaos. She thrives off of drama as she has nothing else going on. She may pretend she is casual and happy thinking that may entice me to talk… Pathetic soul.