Probate - diy?

Thanks bud:cool:

Very true, Eliza, and thanks.:slight_smile: Iā€™m coming to think that as long as there is a death certificate, the bank shouldnā€™t even be involved. It should be sorted by the Court of protection.

Thank you, Apricot:-)

Sorry for your loss, Floydy.

Sorry to here about your Mum Floydy .
Accounts are always frozen until probate is passed .
Itā€™s no big deal you just have to take the will and swear itā€™s true and pay Ā£215 for them to put the official approval on it.
Then they send you the certificate of probate -best to get several copies .

Warning !!
Horrible increases to probate to come in May

Disgraceful!

Thanks Muddy, appreciated:)
Then when I get the certificate of probateā€¦what happens next?

You take the certificate of probate to the bank or BS and show them it and they will take a photocopy ( but best to get several copies anyway in case they want to keep them) after that they will release the fund to you.
When someoneā€™s dies all this information is given to you when you register the death.

Sorry to hear about mum Floydy .

Can I ask another question please , we have some experienced folk here .

Do you think itā€™s worth adding my daughter and or son as a signature on my bank account while Iā€™m still alive n kicking . Iā€™d trust both implicitly , itā€™s just that when I leave the planet it may help them to be able to get some money to oversee any expenses incurred . ?

Your thoughts please

Mum did that with me, Susan. So when she died, as I was a joint account holder (and I was Executor) I behaved as if it was my money!

Thanks Jazzi , I think Iā€™ll do this . Iā€™ve spoken to my two and told them my will will go to probate and they will have to pay for other expenses . I just want to make it easy for them

Mostly sorted now after my appointment with the bank this morning. A solicitor is next on the agenda and then the probate can be passed through. Time will depend on their workload and then we should receive our inheritance.:slight_smile:

Get a Lasting Power of Attorneyā€¦far better and legally secure.
It means you(the LPA holder) can make decisions and/or speak to people on their behalf without all the trouble of navigating the data protection act.

Probate is mentioned in this article .
Itā€™s true probate is going up a tax steal by the government .

The government have now scrapped this proposed increase ( robbery ) in probate fees prior to the election .

Yes, good job too. Mine has just gone through.:cool: