Prince Harry set for court showdown with The Sun publisher

The Duke of Sussex is to take The Sun’s publisher to court over claims it used illegal methods to gather information on him. Prince Harry’s case could go to trial in the High Court next year after a judge ruled on Thursday that parts of his claim can proceed. While his allegations of some illegal methods will go to trial, a judge dismissed his phone-hacking claims.

The latest round of the royal’s battle with the UK tabloid press revolved around at what point Harry knew enough about the alleged methods used against him in order to sue. Under the law, claimants have six years after a privacy breach in which to take action. Lawyers for NGN have argued that he waited too long to bring the claim, and said it should therefore be dismissed.

In March 2023, Harry disclosed for the first time a supposed deal between royal aides and senior NGN executives, which stipulated any privacy actions against the company should be delayed, and then settled out of court. He relied on this context to explain why he had not brought his claim years earlier.

Lawyers for NGN have previously disputed the existence of any secret agreement, describing it as “Alice in Wonderland stuff”.

Mr Justice Fancourt said Harry’s amended case submitted earlier this year - which was reliant on the existence of the “secret agreement” - did not “reach the necessary threshold of plausibility and cogency”. He said emails between the Palace and NGN suggested there was “at some time an understanding” that the Royal Family’s claims “would be addressed informally” at a late date, but the “vague and limited” evidence provided by Harry’s lawyers did not amount to proof of Harry’s specific claims.

A spokesperson for NGN called the ruling a “significant victory” for the company. They said: “The judge, Mr Justice Fancourt, found his claims in relation to the alleged ‘secret agreement’ were not plausible or credible. It is quite clear there was never any such agreement and it is only the Duke who has ever asserted there was.”

But the judge ruled that there should be a trial around other alleged methods used to get information about Harry, identified in the ruling as “blagging of confidential information from third parties, and instructing private investigators to do these or other unlawful acts”.

The judge said Harry had a “realistically arguable” case that he did not know enough about any use of the methods back in September 2013, the point at which NGN argue that his six-year window to bring a claim began.

Harry’s legal action against the Sun is one of three major claims he is making against the publishers of British tabloids. He gave unprecedented testimony in court last month as part of his claim against the Mirror Group, and is also attempting to sue the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday over alleged breaches of privacy.

Is Harry becoming a Vexatious Litigant … :question:

well that’s not for us to decide but the courts and judge and jury?

No Omah,he is one imo.

1 Like

I hope this is the first disappoint of many for the self entitled arse-wipe. Now I need to see him stripped of his Duke of Sussex title🤬

3 Likes

I don’t like him but I like the Sun and similar rags even less. If he’s going to spend his hard-earned money on suing them for breaking the rules then I’m not complaining.

2 Likes

The Sussexes are grifters not grafters … :wink:

3 Likes

It’s more attention seeking.
Drumming up business for his next book. He’s damaged fruit .
Without a doubt the next generation will also be doomed like those who have gone before… unhealthy, closeted lifestyle surrounded by sycophants.

He must be worried about funding his LA lifestyle what a disaster he is making of his life…at least it seems that way to me.

1 Like

It’s a shame he isn’t allowed to include that disgraceful phone-hacking in his law suit, as that was one of the most heinous things the tabloids did - but good that he is able to go ahead with the other parts of his case.

Anyone who is willing to spend the time and money to take on the tabloids regarding their grubby gossip-mongering invasions of privacy has my support - The Sun and other tabloids have been getting away with this kind of stuff for far too long. I hope Harry wins!

1 Like