Presents from hell

so this thread was inspired by a bottle of “sparkling Shiraz” - why oh why would you inflict this on a friend or family member? I thought it was prosecco until opened it turned out to be a sparking red :flushed: :roll_eyes: :face_with_monocle:

Have you received a Christmas or Birthday present which seems to be delightful until you open it and have a sinking feeling in your soul?

2 Likes

Sparkling red?

My BH lovingly bought me a subscription to “Private Eye” one year.However what I got was “The Spectator”.(She had got a bit confused)
If you’ve never read it,it’s a sort of up market Daily Mail.Boris may have been editor then.I don’t know,it went straight in the bin.

2 Likes

Hate to kick a gift horse in the mouth but one Christmas I got twisted wool decorated wired coat hangers.They were from my boyfriend. :flushed:🫣
On a positive note, it gives me something to laugh at.

2 Likes

You should have sent it to me it has some very good writers in it and has some interesting and
witty articles .

Well, this year I got a Retirement Album you’re supposed to record your thoughts, photos and momentos in as you retire!

I’ve never seen such a thing before and I’m not sure it’s my thing but it was a kind thought and I’ll give it a go!

Going to have to sit on my hands not to write something rude in it!

3 Likes

Many years ago ex mother in law bought me Marks and Spencers bath cubes , body cream, bubble bath gift box , I don’t use them so decided to return and exchange for something small and more useful , on returning the item the assistant told me these were very old stock and not been in store for years , the mean ole biddy had recycled years old presants to us and I later realised as years went by she kept gifts unused for years to save herself pennies .

Nowadays of course I would take to the charity shop .

Another Christmas gift I got was nothing , yes nothing , from my now ex husband , son of above ex mother in law , all around were opening their gifts with excitement as I waited for mine from him , my new husband of 2 years, I kept waiting for him to produce a gift lovingly bought just for me , thinking he was joking and would go "ta da " and hand it to me . When nothing appeared I asked , did you buy me anything , he replied " no , when I asked what you wanted you said , money to spend in the sales " .
I never even got the gift I asked for , so like his mean ole biddy of a mother , I eventually divorced him :grin:

2 Likes

Sparkling Red Annie? :open_mouth:
It sounds like the alcoholic version of Tizer or Vimto.
I don’t know about receiving a present from hell, but I’ve given a few… :nerd_face:
We had only been married a few years and for Christmas I bought Mrs Fox a saddle bag for her bike and a tumble dryer… :blush:
It’s a wonder we have been together for so long…
Only this year we agreed not to buy each other presents but pool our resources on a new vacuum cleaner…One of those cordless things that costs a kings ransom… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I couldn’t bear the fact that I hadn’t purchased at least one present for her to open on the day, so I surprised her with her favourite perfume…Almost as expensive as the vacuum cleaner…

1 Like

haha I once received a toolbox, a set of adjustable wrenches and some jump leads - who says romance is dead?! This was the year I passed my driving test and had my first car so it was considered by the OH to be an affectionate and thoughtful change from naughty undies…hmmm. A work colleague once received a tyre from her other half. She was not impressed.

1 Like

This is true … I was given a present of a good wide leather belt and a silver buckle with a manufacture’s label Phat Bastard. I drew myself up to my full 6’ 6" and asked them if they had read the label before deciding on the gift. Wow were they embarrassed :grin:

1 Like

Yes I should have but at the time I didn’t think I’d ever know anyone who would want to read it.

And the problem is Annie :question:
What an amazing present…
:blush:

1 Like