Post op cataract problems

I had my right eye operation in February and in the last weeks have noticed a build up of what I call cloud or mist in my eye . I phoned Spa Medica who have arranged for me to go in for a check up . I read on the net that up to 50% of patients experience this and lazer treatment is given to kill off the cells growing behind the new lens which cause the cloudiness . Anyone else experienced this issue?

P.S. I’ve tried to change the sub headings but think the post will disappear if I keep trying to amend so I’ll leave to the experts :slightly_smiling_face:

Suffering with the same I will be contacting spamedica too, so thanks for that

1 Like

Vlad how long ago was your op , is it in both eyes ?

Hi Susan, just the left eye, had the op in December and everything was fine till about March, phoned the Spa Medica helpline who told me this was nothing to worry about and that it should clear up, my opticians said it might just be dry eye so I have treating it as such, but I will get back to Spa M

I do use eye drops daily as my eyes are dry too . The clouds are it seems a build up of cells behind the new lens . Definitely start eye drops to keep eyes moist , but if the clouds become thicker ( as mine have ) Spa Medica will see you . I’m going Wednesday so will see what they say .
In bright daylight I can’t see the clouds but in half light it’s quite annoying . I also find it is irritating. Let me know how you get on

It’s certainly best to see a doctor as you do. It sounds like what my BH has experienced, too. It’s commonly called secondary cataract and can be treated with a laser lasting 5-10 minutes. It was necessary to do that but she’s had clear vision ever since it was done about 10 years ago. Get better soon.

1 Like

Hi Susan thanks for that, I have been in touch with Spa M today by phone they have suggested I get an appointment with my optician to discuss the problem with regard to possible laser treatment and in the meantime carry on with the dry eye treatment.

1 Like

I wonder whether it is a coincidence that it’s the same provider…

Spa medica poole were wonderful , lovely smiley faces , nurses offering hot chocolate or coffee . The surgeon who did my eye a beautiful gentle angel . Top quality service.

My wait was longer than hoped but they apologised, I was quite happy people watching and chatting .

The issue I have now is just a blip , it’ll get sorted .

5 stars to Spa medica Poole from me

Most of the complaints are about issues with aftercare.

Today I went for my appointment at Spa medica . After lots of robotic machinery looking into my right eye and lots of picture taking I’ve been told I don’t have any cells growing behind my new lens , what I have got is gel sitting behind the lens, I don’t need lazer and the doctor said she was happy with my eyes they look clear and healthy. The gel may eventually go , it may not , I have to live with it . In time my brain will see through it . I have been advised to use a phosphate free eye drops up to 4 times a day for dry eyes .

I guess I’m lucky to have had the cataract removed and have sight back even if there is a slight problem , at least I’m not blind so I’m grateful to modern surgery .

May be worth getting a second opinion from an NHS doctor.