Pond Removal

That’s encouraging, as my pond water does tend to become slightly more murky on a hot sunny day.

I suppose the important thing is to have a pond fountain fed from a filter with UV lamp. I keep mine running 24/7, so hopefully the pond water will be sufficiently oxygenated.

There’s a place in Timperley that’s really good for fish:-)

Yes, I know the one, on the main road. We’ve bought things there before.
Another in Altrincham too.

World of Water (next to a garden centre)? Not been in there yet, but driven past it a few times between tuitions. Any good?

Friend of mine had a visitation from a heron about 3 weeks ago!! Little bugger. Not sure about you, but I can’t bring myself to drape a net across my pond.

I did, when we had fish.

The herons are welcome to the frogs, though.

Have planted some watercress in a floating pot which has spread over about 75% of the surface and protected my fish over the winter months. Will cut back soon (and give some to my friend). Not sure if it’s worth using it for salads or to make a soup:!: Might be an idea if you decide to re-stock - am sure it gives the fish something to nibble on over the colder months as well as the usual oxygenator/hiding place benefits :slight_smile:

Only cost a quid for the seeds and had spare pond soil to get it going.

You eat watercress grown in your pond? :078:

Yep. The water’s clean, so why not?

I used to grow and eat mint from my last pond. It could be frozen in ice cubes too. :wink: The water wasn’t absolutely clear but the leaves were outside anyway.

I still struggle with water clarity. I have a pre-filter (home-made) a UV clarifier and a filter which is running constantly but the only time the water has been clear was when I first filled it. The fish are happy though. I bought ten fish two years ago - 3" who are now about 8". They have also had babies who in turn have had babies. I tried counting the other day and I counted at least 30 but I suspect there are a lot more.

I am looking to upgrade my filter and in particular the UV to improve clarity. My UV is only 12watt but the garden gets a lot of sunlight so I’m intending to buy a 55watt one to really zap the algae.

Do you change your UV bulb, regularly, at least once a year…

That reminds me that it is about time I changed mine.

Thanks.

Hi Primus:-p
Yes, this latest one is just coming up to a year old but I just don’t think it is powerful enough for the amount of light we get.

I believe they only last effectively for about six months.

I suppose their effectiveness might also depend on the flow rate of the water and also whether the pond has any shading.

Talking of which, I had thought about putting up a screen of some sort to reduce the sun’s rays, but Marge wouldn’t stand for it. (Er, no, I didn’t mean I’d ask her to stand there holding it all day.)

Now have two containers full of tadpoles. :slight_smile:

Managed to transfer lots from the first container with the net, then realised it must have been traumatic as a few were getting stuck in the mesh. So I used a large mug in the end and carefully transferred them. They didn’t seem to mind that :smiley:

Surprisingly, there’s still more spawn. Hopefully those wrigglies are still sleeping (rather than dead) and waiting to wake up. Wonder if there will be enough room for them. :017:

The day of pond removal drawing near … come Monday - that’s it. I’ll miss it, watching the wildlife and the birds having a bath in it - but needs must. :022:

Good for you Pasta.

If I may ask, how big are your tadpole containers?

Brrrr… just been outside measuring them :smiley:

One is:
2’ x 16" x 14" Deep

Other:
Same but lower ie 8" deep

Ideally, they should have been larger, but I didn’t think getting them any bigger would help me move them nor be good for them jumping out.

Thanks Pasta.

Not claiming any expertise, of course, but I’m sure they’ll be alright, especially since when tadpoles grow too big for that environment they’ll have grown up and become able to live out of water - I think!

I’d put some plants or bricks or something in there to help them get out when they want to, though. I think I once made a wooden ramp in our pond for that reason, although I can’t say I ever saw them using it!

Well, the first container I did put stones in (which made it hard to lift) and intend to put a rock in for them to leap out on when the chaps get the rocks out of the pond.

The 2nd container I’m waiting till Monday to put rocks in.

Yes, there are plants in both containers. Little sods have to eat plus they rest on the plants too :wink:

I feel quite sad that this will be the last time I’ll have frogs and tadpoles, but if it works out to be successful in rearing the taddies perhaps I might just bury one of the containers into the soil and see what happens. A sort of mini pond in the same area where they’ve been used to having their rock parties and orgies. :mrgreen:

:023:

I think they only use water in which to breed, so perhaps that’s a good idea and won’t take up too much of your garden.