Plusnet or NOW for internet and phone

So how long daily do you spend making calls on your mobile? Most of mine are incoming and the rest are of shortish duration. Long conversations I leave until I’m home then use my ‘anytime’ landline phone.

I have to say it’s a great deal in fact it’s perfect if you don’t make many calls .
I no longer use my landline for calls …having two sisters i tend to use the phone a lot . I’ll take onboard what you said and will keep record of outgoing use for the next couple of months. Thx for the info

removed - wrong thread

UPDATE:- I’ve just signed up with NOW TV internet + 24/7 anytime home phone for one year @ £21 monthly and it goes live during 23/2/22. . it was simplicity itself. All the relevant e-mails had the headers from Sky, so it must be owned and run by Sky. Nothing surprising there as daughter’s NOW TV usb dongle arrived from Sky. All was done via a secure locked details page with offers for internet TV as well, so I might consider that as well when more offers come rolling in. Anything has to be better that the crap were subjected to via the Freeview TV aerial.

I worked it out to around just over 8mins of call time each and every day and I doubt if I use my mobile for any longer that around 40 - 45 mins each week.

1 Like

Let us know if you get an increased speed with NOW please LD :+1:

1 Like

I sure will. Now tested my line and I should get a much higher speed of around minimum of 55.1 guaranteed at router. If not I can leave at anytime without charge. I’ll be happy if I can achieve iPlayer download without lots of annoying buffering and then rejection, so anything of 10 and above will not see me complaining.
What annoys me is if Now can do this for me at less cost, why did Shell just sit on their hands and let me leave without any questioning :man_shrugging:. I had the same many years ago when Tiscali changed to Talk Talk, so I left for the Post Office which is now totally indifferent Shell.

1 Like

Update 22/2/22 … oh, that all the 2’s :wink::+1:

The NOW WiFi modem arrived this afternoon and with it a message to indicate my new board band + any-time phone call package goes live 28/2/22 during the afternoon.
It’s a flat surface modem where the old Post Office/Shell job is upright, so the NOW one will require more shelf space. If I decide on a new site for it I’ll need a longer (3M) connection cable, so this is something I did not consider …another faff I could do without🤬

1 Like

Further update …
A phone call from Kelly Telecom to inform me they will be replacing all of my line from the wall box to outside, then from outside overhead right back to the end pole, (that’s four poles away). I’ve never been informed about line work before so this move to NOW must be a general improvement :+1:

Another update …
Kelly’s crew turned up as expected and in around 2hrs they completely replaced my landline from the Openreach socket all the way to the final connection pole. The three crew worked like a well oiled machine and now I have a faster standard broad band connection running at 8.4 Mbs which is far more that the previous 2Mbs. They also replaced the master socket that now has a built in filter with its own outlet for the RJ11 connector end of the router cable. Now I’m looking forward to 28/2/22 when I can receive 50+Mbs from the NOW super fibre connection :+1:

1 Like

Nice one LD :+1: 2 blokes pitched up when Sky came to fit my fibre; one to fit the boxes inside and out, the other to cable the outside box to the pole. We’d just had the insulation done and he wanted to put a ladder up against it and I asked him not to but to prop the ladder against the fascias instead. 10mins later, I looked out the window and saw a cherry picker on my drive :103: :104:. It seems the picker was in the area so, my man on the ladder called the picker in to do the cabling on my house while ladder man did it on the pole. All in all it took about 2 hours the same as yours did. I get 59Mbps at the router and about 10-15 Mbps at my desktop. If I ethernet cable the 2, I get the same at my desktop as at the router. Now all I need to do is run a LAN around my bungalow :lol:.

1 Like

So far, I cannot fault NOW (Sky subsidiary) for their service, but what really irks me is that Shell could have delved deeper and replaced the cables etc to kept me as a customer. This has proved to me that it pays to shop around and occassionally change a provider no matter what the service being provided :ok_hand:

1 Like

It’s all connected and set up with a much faster speed than from the Post Office/Shell ISP. Already everything downloads almost instantly and according to all the blurb that came with the router hub, speeds will increase over the next week until a final speed has been achieved.
My verdict so far is … NOW Broadband + anytime phone calls inc landline for £21 monthly is proving to be a smart move :ok_hand::+1:

Wow! That is a smart move. I’m paying £38/month for the same with Sky.

1 Like

Blooming forum I’d lost this until you just updated, any how, we have Now TV, fair bit there to watch on their Entertainment package, if you don’t like it cancel at any time, other providers are out there, Netflix is good I’m told which is a cheaper option, we have Amazon prime but mostly for the postage.

1 Like

Just checked can’t get Now broadband down here.

1 Like

NOW is all part of Sky with the box packaging all marked up as Sky. Even the advice e-mails are from Sky.

I know but I’m tied into an 18month contract. :weary:

1 Like

My contract (started today) is for 12 months and after about 10 months, I’ll start looking around for a new ISP; especially now I know how easy it is to change and set up the new system :ok_hand::+1:

1 Like

I shall do the same before May 2023 when my contract expires.

1 Like