Plumbing and Drainage Plus (insurance)

LD homeserve have a very bad reputation if you see their reviews . My neighbour had a contract with them and she had to keep paying up front before an engineer would come out to her boiler. I did look at going with them for my homecare things but since reading reviews I stay well away .

I really donā€™t want to sound like a scaremonger but ā€¦
personally I would be more concerned that the supply is very likely to be a lead pipe.

Some suppliers will come and test free and since the previous owners owned your house for 20 years and havenā€™t changed the supply (or they would know where the stopcock was) I recommend you check before deciding anything.

I hope the poor swan was OK.

Yes Barry, I do.

Then I donā€™t understand your problem, the plumber will turn off the water at the meter whilst he fits the stop tapā€¦ or am I missing something?

BTW a stop tap key costs less than a tenner, and personally I think is always worth having in case of an emergencyā€¦ :slight_smile:

Jazzi, if you can afford it, I suggest you save Ā£10-20/month in a separate bank account set aside specifically for heating/plumbing related works. Then, if you need any work carried out the money will be there ready and waiting.

I completely agree, which is why I bought one some time ago.

All I need now is a barrier and some temporary traffic lights, as ours is in the very busy road outside our house!

Seriously, though, in an emergency Iā€™d park my car just behind the stop cock and there are no yellow lines to say I shouldnā€™t.

I would agree with that.

I noticed that house insurance was mentioned but check because some insurances specifically do not cover water leaks.

Ask you neighbour where theirs is?

Thatā€™s what I was going to say Primus.
My water company have tried getting me insure the drains too, but I know it is covered on my house insurance.

Sorry folks, been forgetting this thread. Ooops.

I will, at some stage in the future, speak to neighbours to ask about their stop cock, and the whereabouts.

I thought of getting one of those outside keys, in case of a *whispersā€¦leak.

As for setting aside money in the event of repairs, all my money is in an ISA, or my esavings. In other words, reasonably healthy.