Pies, pies and more pies

Had a Cornish pasty yesterday yummy !

Ok, good. Iā€™m busy right now. iā€™ll post it soon.:slight_smile:

Of course they are pies, technically or otherwise. But if you intend on giving me a hard time about it, Iā€™ll agree that they are soups or salads or canapes .:shock:

I have a sweetie pie if that helps.:mrgreen:
Cherry pie is my favourite.

Not sure about that Galty. Thereā€™s an overlap.

Thereā€™s a desert , a pudding called Summer Fruits where the outside shell is made from slices of bread so Iā€™m thinking that might really be a really really massive fruity sandwich.

Like this:

:shock:

Close! The one Iā€™m thinking of the slices of bread are arranged vertically like a fence.

Thanks Bakerman :slight_smile: no rush

Indeed, like this:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/sites/default/files/recipe_images/recipe-image-legacy-id--1270451_8.jpg

but then itā€™s not like a sandwich ā€¦ itā€™s more like a cold pie (or pudding) ā€¦ :wink:

AYSA, here is my recipe for Lemon Meringue Pie.

It is with some trepidation that I post it. I have a feeling somebody is going to give me a hard time and demand that I define exactly what a lemon is. I can just hear it now, ā€œMr Bakerman what citation do you have to prove that your so-called lemons are the real thingā€ It will be followed by an article from The Guardian claiming that real lemons, true lemons, are only grown in Cyprus or some such place. Thus, those yellow citrus fruits grown in America are not actually real lemons.

Sorry for the rant, Galty upset me to no end with his nonsense.

well here goes:

Follow directions for my blind baked single crust, pie crust (above)

Pre-heat oven to 350 F. (175 C.)

Make meringue 1st and set aside (not in refrigerator)

3 large egg whites, must be at room temp.
3/4 tsp cream of tartar
6 TBLSP of sugar
1/2 tsp of pure vanilla

Ultra important All utensils must be squeeky clean.
The egg whites can not have even a hint of yolk.
The egg beaters must be squeeky clean. Never let your egg whites come in contact with any plastic. Especially not the folding spatula. ***

Put egg whites, cream of tartar, sugar and vanilla into a stainless steel, or large china bowl (never plastic).

Using an electric mixer, slowly build up speed until stiff peaks form. Set aside.

2 cups water
6 TBLSP of corn starch
1/3 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice (need to be ripe and soft)
1 cup + 1 TBLSP of sugar
4 large egg yolks
3 TBLSP of butter

combine, water, corn starch, lemon juice, sugar and butter in a medium pot. Heat, over med-low heat, stirring constantly, with a wire whip. until mixture becomes thickened and is slightly bubbling.

Have your yolks in a medium small bowl. Stirring constantly, add about 1/2 cup of the thickened corn starch mix. This will ā€œtemperā€ the yolks. Pour back into the corn starch mixture and slowly heat until it begins to boil slightly, cook 1 more minute.

Pour immediately hot filling into your pre-baked pie shell. level out.
Immediately add the meringue on top of the lemon filling. Pile high to the center. Ultra important: seal the meringue very well to the pie crust edges. This will prevent the meringue from shrinking during baking.

Bake for aprox for 11-13 minutes OR until meringue peaks are nicely, slightly browned.

Tips for a beautiful baked meringue. Just prior to baking, after you have piled your meringue high in the center, use the back of a dinner spoon to tap and lift up little peaks.(see photo)

:023:
Thankyou Bakerman,I shall save it to my recipes and give it a whirl :slight_smile:
Why mustnt the egg whites be in contact with any plastic? :confused:

Why do you think everyone is out to give you a hard time ?

Why donā€™t you keep a civil tongue in your head and think about the actual question and not jump down my throat

A pie encases a filling completely

In fact there was some controversy last year because a Cornish pasty won the national pie competition

Anything that is just a pastry base is usually called either a flan or a quiche

Hence my question

No one is getting at you and as a chef I would expect you to know a darn sight more about world cuisine then you do. Even I am capable of giving you an American definition for an English term without getting on my high horse

I have forgotten the exact chemical reason but plastic can interfer with the forming of a meringue.

People, British people, have given me nothing but grief regarding what bacon is, what a sandwich is, and now Galty gave me a hard time about what a pie is. ie us ā€œcolonialsā€ couldnā€™t possible know as much as a Brit. You just did it TWICE !

No, you think we are giving you are hard time

We see it as a discussion

We have different cuts, we have different terminology

No one gave you a hard time, more that you jumped down the throat of anyone who dared disagree

These are discussion boards. If you only wish to dictate perhaps only have threads in self moderated so as you can pick and chose who replies and anything you donā€™t like you can delete

Aye that seems a sensible solution to all of this Bakerman as thatā€™s what the self moderated threads are there forā€¦keeping the riff raff who donā€™t agree with everything You say, OUT, :shock: :-p

I donā€™t see it as a discussion. I see it as British arrogance attempting to dictate to an ignorant ā€œcolonialā€. Suggestion: donā€™t try that with a French chef. Heā€™ll sort you out right quickly. And then hand you your head on a platter, in aspic.

Most posters have been polite and friendly, some however, have been exceedingly snobby.

The 1st thing I ever learned at the knee of my French mentor. ā€œdonā€™t screw with the chefā€.

Apple pie etc are a dessert at the same time as being a pie. Itā€™s something you eat following your main meal.

A Cornish pastie isnā€™t a pie, itā€™s a savoury snack like a sausage roll.

What about a pork pie then? :confused:

Should I go away politely?:lol:

Thank God, here is another person who knows what a pie is.:smiley: I have no problem calling a meat pie, a pie. My only complaint is with those who insist that my pies are not real pies.

So whatā€™s beef wellington then?

And whatā€™s cottage pie?

:lol: Iā€™m waiting for a thread about ā€¦Cakes.
Jaffa cakes and pontefract cakes.