Photos from my neck of the woods

Thanks Pixie :blush:

Ooh, I do hope so! I’m a cold water, outdoor wild swimmer and swim in the sea, rivers etc.

I can’t abide warm swimming pools, like getting in someone else’s bath water!

That pool looks like perfection to me

Oh my gosh! I have friends like you, I don’t know how you do it, brrr :snowflake: :ocean:. I can take freezing water in the summer, but how people go sea swimming in the depths of winter is totally beyond me!!

2 Likes

I think we’re a bit nuts! But you get a real high from it and it cures all your aches and pains :rofl:

2 Likes

Especially when you have heated underwear to come out to! :joy:

That made me laugh so much! :smiley:

2 Likes

It is a cunning plan, isn’t it? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Its ingenious! :joy:

1 Like

Beautiful piccies of a beautiful part of the country. It brings back memories of childhood 'ollerdays.

1 Like

Thanks Fruitcake. I’ve just noticed that I didn’t spot an autocorrect on my second upload. One of the photos is headed ‘St Makes’ when it should, of course, be ‘St. Mawes’. Too late to correct it now unfortunately!!

Oh, I think we’ll forgive you this once!!

1 Like

I have been to most of those places, Bathsheba.
I can’t swim so have never been tempted by the Tinside pool, though I’ve passed it several times.
I like the Barbican area of Plymouth & have been to the Aquarium.
Did you ever go to the Dome when it was open as a museum? I was sad when it closed.

Part of the Barbican.
Friends Son had a flat in the building on the right of the pic.

1 Like

I love the Barbican. It did have a bit of a reputation for drunken nightlife, but I think that’s improved of late. There used to be a lovely little fabric and haberdashery up one of the tiny side streets, which I used often. Then one day it wasn’t there :cry:.

No I never did get round to visiting the Dome, and never went on the Plymouth Eye, though I kept promising myself I would. Both gone now, more’s the pity. Still, I have no right to complain given that I never supported them… I’ve never been in the Aquarium either. God, what am I like? I remember when I lived in the Home Counties and worked in London, I used to sit on the steps of St Paul’s Cathedral in the summer to eat my lunch. I’d watch all the tourists going in and out, and never thought anything of it. Then one day I thought, ‘Why have I never actually gone inside?’ So I did, and it was amazing!! It’s just too easy to ignore the things that are right on our doorstep, always thinking we’ve got plenty of time.

Mind you, I have been up to the top of Smeaton’s Tower - wonderful views from up there!

1 Like

I have never been to the top of Smeaton’s tower. Couldn’t face all those steps, :grinning:.

1 Like

Lovely photos @Bathsheba, I have only been to Plymouth once and that was many years ago now, I expect it has been modernised and changed a lot now. :slightly_smiling_face:

I love Devon, we go there every year for a holiday. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Thanks Mags. There are some nice parts of Plymouth, but generally speaking it’s not a city I would go out of my way to visit if I didn’t live here, lol! But it has a lot of interesting history, and if you know where to look, you can see traces of what it was like hundreds of years ago. A few very old buildings have survived, in particular The Elizabethan House, which dates back to the 1500s, and The Merchant’s House, also from the early 16th Century. There are some lovely parks in the City that are worth a visit. And an amazing new museum called The Box, which I have yet to visit despite everyone I know telling me I must!! But the City Centre itself is unmemorable, a grid of 1960’s concrete buildings, put up after the majority of the City was razed to the ground in WW2.

Whereabouts in Devon do you usually go for a holiday? There are so many beautiful places to visit in the county!

1 Like

I’m with you there! I did the climb about 40 years ago, and even then it wasn’t easy - particularly the last part, which involved (if I remember correctly) climbing a ladder through quite a tiny opening in the ceiling to get into the viewing gallery.

1 Like

We go to the Torbay area, plenty of places to visit around there… :grinning:

2 Likes

Smashing photo’s Bathsheba.

I love Cornwall, I even intended retiring there, but sadly haven’t been for years now.
I used to visit a friend down in Penzance, and then she moved to Godolphin Cross.
Beautiful countryside and coast.

1 Like

Plymouth looks nice, very appealing, thanks @Bathsheba

1 Like

Know the area quite well - my in-laws lived in Brixham and we visited regularly.

Thanks Mups. Oh that’s a shame that your retirement plans didn’t come to fruition. Or perhaps it’s not? Perhaps you prefer where you are now!!

Thanks d00d. There are some really lovely parts of Plymouth, just not the city centre, haha!