Persuasion on Netflix

This…absolutely this. :+1:

Absolutely spot on, I agree with everything you say, especially that sentence which I have made bold.

I’ll never forget the scene where one of the daughter’s babies in the nursery dropped something and said “uh oh”, like the Teletubbies. I mean, of course a 15 month old can’t learn what it should or should not ‘say’ for a period drama, but the producers have the power of editing, for heaven’s sake!

1 Like

I read 2 reviews about this film. One said it was a load of tosh and, if they could, they would have given it 0 stars. The other thought it was great and gave it 4 stars. Either way, we don’t have Netflix so can’t watch it.

Are you sure it’s wasn’t -4 ?

As the years go by, it becomes more difficult to find good adaptations of Jane Austen’s novels - this effort is the worst I’ve tried to watch - I didn’t get past the first 15 minutes before I switched off.

The script writers said they had simplified the language and given it a contemporary twist in the hope of introducing new, younger audiences to Jane Austen’s novels.
I feel sorry for the younger generations if they watch this and think it remotely resembles the work of Jane Austen :scream:

3 Likes

I kid you not, I drove to my daughter’s house today and handed her the book. I said let’s talk after you’ve read the book!

Just to clarify, my distaste is restricted to the movie’s depiction of the original storyline. I do understand the move towards diversity albeit it inaccurate.

1 Like

I confess to not having read the book at all…but I will say that the trailer doesn’t convince me to watch the movie, but it does convince me to get the book and read the “proper” version :+1:

3 Likes

You won’t regret it! It’s a great read :nerd_face:

2 Likes

The reviews I read on IMDb (156)the first 10+ I read are saying the same.

Its rubbish

I hope you do read Persuasion - I think it is so much more rewarding to read the book than watch any of the film / TV adaptations that have been made.

The 1990s seemed to be the best decade for adaptations of Jane Austen’s novels but I have yet to find a really good adaptation of Persuasion.

There has been some reasonable adaptations of Sense & Sensibility, Emma and Mansfield Park but the only really spot-on adaptation of any of her novels, in my opinion, was the 1995 BBC version of Pride and Prejudice.

1 Like

I always prefer the book to the movie adaptation, and try to read it before watching the movie. The only time I did it back to front was “The girl on the train” and felt so uncomfortable having someone else’s characters in my head while reading, I just ended up going off the entire thing! So yes, I have Persuasion in my Audible list for later on! :+1:

1 Like

Have you seen the 1940 film of Pride and Prejudice With Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier? It is enchanting.

Yes, I have seen the 1940 film.
It was probably a product of its time but not a very good representation of the original novel, in my opinion - neither the characters or the costumes.

I preferred the 1990s BBC adaptation, the one with Colin Firth & that lake scene… :heart:

1 Like

Yes, that particular scene is one departure from the original story that I fully forgive the BBC for! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

The Producers need to get a grip on reallity and when these books were written.
To busy cowdowing to the pathetic woke folk out there who live in cloud cuckoo land and clearly they need a history lesson.
Well i shan`t be watching the film or The Railway Children/New Darling Buds of May or any of the new period dramas.

There’s a new darling buds? I don’t think they could ever replicate David Jason’s performance. Why do they keep remaking productions that already have a perfect version? It’s like the Godfather - you cannot replace the original.

Last year with Bradley Walsh as Pop Larkin and Joanna Scanlon as Ma. It was called The Larkins. Series 2 is due to be shown later this year - not that I’ll be watching it 'cos the 1st series wasn’t as good as the original Darling Buds with David Jason, et al.

1 Like

I remember being very confused by this, because The Larkins was a TV sitcom in the late 50s/early 60s, so I thought it was that which had been remade. Then they said it was a remake of The Darling Buds of May - so why the heck didn’t they just call it The Darling Buds of May? :102:

:102: Ask the producers or scriptwriters 'cos I know nuffink.

1 Like