Panic buying of petrol/ diesel

Are you ?

Seems like we lurch from one crisis to the next surely if we are short on delivery drivers and need European one just give em a working visa ?

We aren’t going to get many European drivers when they are hundreds of thousands of drivers short themselves.

No I’m not panic buying anything and neither will any sensible person be.
Like everything else, this too will pass.

2 Likes

As a long established married couple, neither of us have bough anything in a panic. Our combined weekly mileage is low so a tank full will last us at least a month and maybe longer; plus we do keep a 10litre can in the outside store just in case we run extremely low. We also keep around a couple of months worth of canned food and at least three months of frozen food in our freezers. We can remember the shortages from the three day week, so this was noted and ever since we have always been prepared.

From a very recent news item it seems that the government is doing exactly as you comment Muddy, giving out temporary working visas:

Sky News understands that Boris Johnson has allowed ministers to relax immigration rules and issue visas that could allow up to 5,000 foreign lorry drivers to work in the UK.
If they can even get these 5,000 to come to the UK, 5,000 from a supposed shortage of 100,000 isn’t going to make much difference is it?
I mean I know “every little helps” and all that, but …
:man_shrugging:

Better than nothing I guess, it’s a start. At the very least another 5,000 drivers will mean that same number of deliveries, be that fuel or food, will be getting through.

If nothing else these present problems should make government realise that despite however insignificant some jobs may seem, they are all small cogs in a very big wheel and every single person doing this type of work for a living is important and cannot be dispensed with. Delivery drivers, pickers of veg. and fruit out in the fields, refuse collectors, nurses and all emergency workers, farmers etc., you name them they are part of that big wheel which helps keep this country ‘ticking over’. Remove just one cog and the whole thing can so easily collapse, it doesn’t take much!

Hi

5000 will not solve the problem and the time scale is wrong.

They are not going to arrive tomorrow, they need to get Visas sorted.

Too little, too late from what is advertised to be a Brexit Ready and Business friendly Government.

Labour is in a mess, with Corbyn and Abbott and the Unions coming back and that lot would be a disaster.

Boris has upset all and sundry, Biden is as isolationist as Trump and the World is no longer interested in our view of all out Free Trade.

The World is now about shortening supply chains and looking after their own countries.

Beware of Macron, beware even more of Le Pen, they are both France first second and third and are both fuming at Boris.

Mocking them, which Boris has done, is not a good thing.

They both know exactly how to cause maximum damage to the UK and Le Pen will do it quicker and better.

Le Pen does not want migrants in France.

Thank you and goodbye, you can keep your few £ million, you can have them all.

Thank you very much for paying for our huge new upgrades to our Channel Ports, it is great for us.

We are giving you 6 months notice as required, to move the the UK Border out of France and back to the UK.

Anything that lands here from the UK will be not allowed to travel onwards until everything has been checked and will be stored on the huge secure areas you have paid for until they go back to the UK if there are any issues.

The cost of storage in the secure area will be £500 a day.

Simples as they say.

1 Like

Despite the interesting posts on here, l believe this thread should be merged
with the earlier thread on this same subject ??
If any moderators are interested !!:grin::grin:
Donkeyman! :+1::+1:

Sorry donkey man I didn’t see it !

1 Like