Original Songs and Cover Songs

5 Likes

I thought the Original was by the Temptations but no…

Written by Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong as a single for Motown act The Undisputed Truth in 1971. This version of “Papa” was released as a single in early 1972, and peaked at number sixty-three on the pop charts and number twenty-four on the R&B charts. Later in 1972, Whitfield, who also produced the song, took “Papa Was a Rollin’ Stone” and remade it as a twelve-minute record for The Temptations, which was a number-one hit on the Billboard Hot 100 and won three Grammy Awards in 1973. While the original Undisputed Truth version of the song has been largely forgotten… (info from wiki).

4 Likes

original first

3 Likes

Oh my word! So did I !

Thanks Di :blush:

1 Like

Early Led Zep at the royal albert hall with borrowed intro. They settle out of court.

5 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes

Hi :lion: and here I was thinking tainted love was an original by Soft Cell…

2 Likes

original

4 Likes

This is a fantastic thread Di

:hugs:

3 Likes

Thank you Minx, I love it also…

2 Likes
4 Likes

There’s so many songs that I thought were originals like Pat Benatar but it seems I’m being schooled tonight! How awesome is that! Don’t cha just love music! Always something new to discover!

2 Likes
3 Likes
5 Likes

Oh my word! Three brilliant artists did All along the watchtower

:041:

3 Likes

me when I am in bossy mode…haha

mild Rolling Stones…Jagger is free to do what he wants any old time…haha…

4 Likes

This is the absolute best cover of Unchained Melody I’ve heard of this and I actually prefer it to the original.

and likewise for this cover by Paul Young. The deployment of guitar + tube screamer really hits the spot for this old twang man and then some!!

5 Likes

Always liked Paul Youngs music, went to quite a few of his Concerts …still for me the original is the better version.

4 Likes