Once upon a time, I wished my parents had a farm, just as my great-grandparents did

Sorry, I’m not entering the competition. Just saying that once upon a time, I wished my parents had a farm, just as my great-grandparents did.

Riding a horse daily, picking fruits in the orchards. Having fields upon fields of vegetables growing in the sunshine and along with the animals, fields of sunflowers to enjoy seeds and growing a wee batch of corn for that special bowl of popcorn on Friday nights watching films.

Having the chance to ride Golden bareback again. Taking a break by the pond, enjoying each a green apple bushel…

These days I fulfill a wish with this virtual one

My BH was very keen on Farmville .FarmVille - Wikipedia I was left instructions to do something when she was in work.But I got confused and ploughed instead of harvested.She still reminds me.My father’s family were farmers too…

1 Like

There can be a severe shock for some farm land owners. My paternal grandparents went from the tenancies of two pubs and a family owned pawnbrokers to a farm out Camberley way (Pound Farm). Within their 1st year came a compulsory purchase order from the then London County Council for most of the land. This land was the later resold in lots for housing the post war London overspill. They had no option but to relinquish their home and land, then move to Teddington where both died.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that dear @LongDriver . As far as I know their story as told by my grandpa, they were successful and supplied 5 villages.

When the work became too much and the first world war and flu pandemic, they sold their lands and buildings. Wanting a quieter lifestyle, they moved in the nearest city and opened a dépanneur (aka corner shop).

They went on for years, providing freshly butchered meats, delicatessen cold cuts aka charcuterie. Fresh milk and eggs plus butter. Great-grandmother aka Grams created handmade sweeties and every flavour of ice cream. It was the place to be in their arrondissement for fresh groceries.

After Gramps died, Grams sold the business to a local family and moved into the house they had built earlier.

Sadly, I know, not every farmers are that lucky but it was always a dream of mine.

1 Like

We had the real thing. Cattle and agriculture - and 3,000 acres on the sheep. Rather remote For me it was six miles each way for school.

1 Like

I fear a change of government might see the return of compulsory purchases just for housing without sufficient infrastructure.

1 Like

Yeah, the Government! As I dislike politicians and politics with a fury, I won’t say :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like