No Available Dentists - Abscesses Can Kill!

To be fair, the tooth was loose and didn’t put up too much resistance…It was a big one at the back though…The trick is to give it one almighty pull…and its all over in an instant.

1 Like

I wish I could give you a bigger like that that…my gosh, it sounds quite insane to go yanking your own teeth out :astonished:

2 Likes

Yea Gods
Although when we go away we always talk a little DIY filling and crown stickers with us for emergencies

Unlike some who just stick things back in with SUPERGLUE .

2 Likes

I went looking for that story and immediatley wished I hadn’t :frowning_face: Poor woman.

Never heard of that. :astonished:

In the early 1980s, I had a large upper molar pulled - putting that more accurately, some moron dental student in a dental hospital did a terrible job on pulling it. After leaving there, I couldn’t stop the bleeding. I went to a hospital and was given an adrenaline bite-compress and a quiet room to lie down in. After I returned home, the bleeding started, again. [ WARNING! IF YOU’RE SQUEAMISH, DON’T READ PAST THESE DOTS…].

There was nobody on Earth who could’ve got me anywhere near another dentist or hospital, that day. So, I plugged in a soldering iron…yes…and, used it to cauterise the socket. It worked, too, on the 2nd stroke. Fear makes heroes (or fools) of us, sometimes. Don’t try that one, at home.

1 Like

I need to lie down……….

2 Likes

YOU READ PAST THE DOTS!? Bad boy!

That is just awesome Ian…Respect mate…
:+1:
Perhaps chewing gum might have been less painful…Or putty?
:open_mouth:…Open wide…

1 Like

In desperation, we all do something scary, at some point. The next day, the skin on the entire roof of my mouth fell off, having been scorched by the radiant heat from the iron’s tip, and that skin felt like I had an unused, unwrapped condom in my mouth. The roof of my mouth was so ticklish, it made me chuckle and I knew that I couldn’t scratch it. Water under the bridgework, I suppose.

1 Like

@ lan Haines Bloody hell, what size soldering iron was it for chrissakes ??
:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I’m not sure how to describe its size. It was bought for the electronics involved in CB Radio, if that’s any help. The first touch made the bleeding worse, actually, but the second one did the trick.

@Ian_Haines ,Oh, it was just a baby one then !
Blimey l was imagining one of those giant ones sticking out of yer mouth??
:+1::grin::+1:

1 Like

What you did is very dangerous because it can lead to nerve damage or infection if a shard of tooth breaks leaving a bit behind. Understand totally that this being during lockdown you were desperate but you were very lucky it went so well. There’s also risk of excessive bleeding and dry socket for some. I’m glad it worked out ok for you. Must have been quite stressful at the time. Reminds me of those old fashioned cartoons of people tying string around teeth to a door handle and slamming a door - yikes!

2 Likes

OMG it’s not a competition guys! :grinning: :flushed: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I daren’t ask why you might know what that feels like… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

38, Annie! 38! Now, 38 people have mentioned the same thing, in around 40 years.

I just won a bet with myself…thanks, Annie.
However, I just lost a bet with myself, too!

1 Like

How the hell did we get to this situation so fast, civilisation is so very fragile

From being a reasonably well off country with good health services we’ve come to DIY dentistry, food banks and people trying to stay warm with a candle in a flower pot

And it seems to have happened when we just looked away for a minute?

3 Likes

It’s a Tory specialty. Taking from the poor to give to the rich.

1 Like

I think its an all party situation Annie, its been festering for the last sixty years.