News reports in the queens death

There is already too much news on TV on the main channels…
6am to 9am for Good morning Britain or Breakfast
At least 30 minutes around lunchtime
6pm-6.30pm for local news
6.30pm to 7.30pm for ITV evening news & I think BBC does a similar length.
10pm to 10.30pm for late news
That is five and a half hours on normal days… yet I bet they have had very little news, other than the Queen since yesterday!
When will they realise that people will switch off if they continue to put too much news on TV?
I still have a TV licence, so why should I pay for that if I can’t turn to a channel with ads to avoid hearing the same!

1 Like

I’ve happily paid a licence fee all my adult life and I can’t remember a time when we haven’t had the News on at lunchtime, teatime and at 9 or 10 o’clock in the evening.
Those are the times I usually switch the TV ON to catch the News, then I switch it off after the News has finished.
I would expect our National Broadcaster, which I pay my licence fee for, to broadcast the News at regular intervals during the day and evening, so people can catch the Daily News at different times, depending on when their pattern of working and time off happens to be.

I can’t comment much on breakfast TV because I don’t often watch it - but I wouldn’t count it all as “News” - there is some short proper news reports broadcast during Breakfast TV but the rest of it seems more like a general chat “entertainment” “magazine - type” programme about all sorts, including celebrity gossip, bits of social interest, interviews with actors and authors puffing off their new film or book etc etc etc

I remember when all you got on TV in the morning was the Test Card - and people still happily paid their licence fee!

Watching the test card would be more informative and entertaining compared to some of the dross on morning tv nowadays.

1 Like

I’m quite surprised to see all this complaining … or at least complaining so soon.

Yesterday when she died everyone appeared genuinely upset and some, even tearful … whether they are a royalist or not.
Yet this morning the complaints have started.

Why? They are a public body … not one individual. Like the Tower of London and Buckingham palace they represent this country and it’s heritage. The pomp. The ceremony.
She was a figurehead. That’s exactly why the media are intrusive.
The royal family are like actors who play their part … surely all this media coverage is to be expected?
Intrusive?
Maybe. But with dignity, always with dignity and respect for an aged Monarch who had served her country faithfully for 70 years.
By the sounds of it after 10 more days you’ll all want to overthrow the Monarchy.

I confess … I’m surprised. Surprised that human nature can still surprise me.

9 Likes

Excellent post Morty.

5 Likes

We are all different Boot. I am up and busy at 5.30, so I catch the morning news on Breakfast. I find that, unless something important has happened, the lunch time news is identical. It is the one and a half hours news between 6 & 7.30pm that irritates me, because at that time I like to relax and watch TV after dinner & to be honest things have not usually changed enough to warrant one and a half hours! I am usually in bed for the 10 o’clock news but can catch it on my bedroom TV if necessary.
I appreciate that yesterday was big news, but I still think that the continuous news reports were more about each channel trying to do the best report to gain more viewers, rather than giving more information.
I just think that these days, people who are out or working are not likely ro miss any important news, because most have mobile phones!

Yes, we are. That is exactly the point I was making.
The News is broadcast at different times because we don’t all have the same lifestyles, so the BBC is expected to cater for all of us.

I am taking a selection of DVDs to the caravan today, plus 2 new magazines and 2 library books.

2 Likes

I agree, but yesterday BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Channel 4 and many of the other channels were all reporting the same details at the same time.
It seems that only the BBC have fixed restrictions on how they report things, probably because they get the money from the licence, but I thought it sad that all the commercial channels were determined to compete so prevented those, who had heard what they wanted to, from viewing anything else!

@Twink55 , by pure fluke there happens to be another thread near this about controlling the plebs.

Maybe I’ve been listening to @OldGreyFox too much (if that’s actually possible), or maybe its because I’m trying to scrounge a cuppa and a small piece of cake at his anniversary in a few weeks :wink:, but I don’t suppose you’ve considered that the media and establishment are acting in cahoots to really drum home the point that the monarchy is extremely important and that we, it’s subjects, should remember our place. Which would explain the relentless media bombardment.

1 Like

It’s a British disease, we put people on pedestals then try to knock them off.
After the sadness comes the condemnations.

4 Likes

there is tons of programmes on freeview and netflix to watch, if you don’t wanna watch the mourning time turn over and stop ya moaning, yer all sounding like a load of old bags hahaha

2 Likes

sorry couldn’t resists hehe

Rainbows.
Was it just a coincidence or was it a load of media hype?
Just after Her Majesty’s death a rainbow was spotted over Balmoral, Windsor Castle and a double over Buckingham Palace.

1 Like

Excellent post @morticia

I agree with every word.

I can’t speak for other people, but my original post was about people who live alone with no company and little money, who rely on the TV for something to fill their evenings!
They don’t have Netflix and reception with the storms has caused Freeview to be difficult to watch. Apart from that, most are elderly, and a lot of Freeview channels were not showing programmes that would interest them.
Some of my local pensioners are close to the queens age, like the soap operas & I understand from the lady at my local shop that a few said they went to bed early last night. Sadly, they may do the same tonight and I just thought it must be a long, lonely night when you don’t see anybody all day and your regular TV programmes disappear!
I just feel sorry for them!

3 Likes

I for one am engrossed in it all she only died yesterday I wouldn’t expect normal service yet. Some stations have closed in respect so Im considering it lucky some are still working. I’ve been on youtube too looking at people around the world reacting fascinating how many Americans wish they had a king or queen still and regret losing them. Worth watching Michael Knowles podcast he had a great deal to say about duty and service.

Well of course they may be out of a good job, if we lose the royals…so you could be right!

1 Like

Well l went off out early this morning and got drenched instead!
I even spotted the man with the pink plastic hand again!! Eeeek.

When l got back this afternoon, l did put the television on and l was enthralled at seeing *Prince Charles being so welcomed by the crowds outside Buckingham Palace.
Then they showed him and Camilla and l must say they looked the part. Camilla looked lovely, serene and very elegant.

Twink, if you’ve switched off your television, imagine how much you’re saving on electricity!

Whoops! * That should read King Charles.

2 Likes

I am trying to keep it xipped because I could well get myself into a lot of trouble everywhere over this before it’s all over :scream:

I am sorry she’s died,

I’m not a Royalist but I had quite a lot of affection for her and the traditions she represented and I know she was important to many so I’ll show some respect

It’s the end of an era, sad for a her friends and family and we have had some awful years lately, it feels like we’re all just waiting for the next horrible thing to happen. And her going is going to further destabilise us

But the ruddy total sycophancy and blanket TV coverage is driving me NUTS!

It’s like everybody is terrified of not looking respectful enough and are all going OTT competing to display the most sorrow. Genuine grief it is not :rage:

It’s very hard on people who depend on normal coverage for company, entertainment, and , let’s face it, just proper news coverage of other important things happening in the world

And can someone please tell me why Nigel Farage on GBNews felt the need to have Trump, of all people, call in with his rather suspect memories of his relationship with the Queen? Really cringeworthy :nauseated_face:

I suppose it will pass over eventually but until then it’s news channels from other countries for me in an attempt to dodge it all a bit :rage:

2 Likes