Newbie but not to Gardening

Landed gentry,:smiley: well worth the expense I’m sure, do the walnuts produce ?

Yes they do and hooked out walnut recipes already… Date and Walnut Cake is going to be at the top…
One thing we have made clear to our elderly end neighbours.Have told them they can have some for themselves, as we have seen in the past they always picked some.

We presumed it was their land but with a flare up that occured the real owners turned up at our Gate one day to clarify all… the real owners of the land were the Cousins of our end of garden Neighbours living in Niort about 1 hours drive away…part of a family feud was going on that we stayed well clear of. It was quite a Saga at the time.

Lovely garden, Dianne…I love gardening, could talk gardening all day.

Well, it is still quite rugged in some places, but we are happy with what we have achieved, overall it is a good place to spend time

The battle of the weeds is daily of course at this time of the year, but someone has to sort them or they do take over.
We have a lot of creeping weeds that sneak under the grass and come up for air when they are going to flower. Like lots and lots of strands interweaving…Need to photograph some weeds today…then add here…

What a lovely garden you have Dianne. Good thing you enjoy gardening because I can well imagine how much time that takes up to keep it looking so nice. I really like that little pond area in the first pic, it looks such a lovely, peaceful little place to sit and while away some time with a book and a nice cool drink. Will you be growing some climbers of some sort up the trellis?

How much land do you have Dianne?..if I may ask.

We have planted another vine , trumpet trailers not sure at this mo of the real names but the flowers are like trumpets…:slight_smile:
the other side already established roses and honeysuckle and a Vine. the new vine we planted recently said eating white grape so wonder if they will be…Most we have had are for wine producing, only ever attempted that the once. A neighbour with experience guided us all the way through the process and the end result was vinegar…really thought we had cracked it…:frowning:
Next door they had a vine also and the couple that lived there at that time made wine and boy talk about blow your socks off.
Yes Trellis, made from the overgrowth from next doors bamboo… neighbours of nightmares and they share all their garden with us…:shock:
no time at all it will be covered and looking good…Winter time can look quite bare as most loose all there leaves…

was just under an acre but goes around three sides of the property and so feels just the right size… the weeds 4 sides for them.
Many rural properties here have many acres…Big mistake to think wow that’s a bargain with 10 acres…but then how does one cope with 10 sizes mine…not well at all…seen the wrecks they soon become…
The new land is just under a third of an acre, but that is not going to be made into a garden. We just intend to keep the grass short and tidy and later on some new open fences…

The French have more open fenced gardens than closed in ones here. You get the odd high walled in Garden and it looks like a prison in comparison to the others…We have highish Hedges on three sides, and the end is open except a mile a minute trailer…

Cloudy and threatening Storms today. Something I learnt recently was how your surroundings alter the weather forecast…Trees and the Shapes of the buildings will be the main reason the forecast appearing to be so wrong…:surprised:

weeds… … distance view which looks all like grass

I have over time dug out large sections of the farmland and replaced with your average grass seed, does well for a year then the weeds come back in herds…

just been doing some digging and spotted this weed is smallish now and has caused a lot of work it takes out the grass as it spreads… it does spread everywhere until it’s cycle is complete for the season and a new weed takes over.
.still do not know the the name of it…https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/gg574/diannew4/spider_weed(1).JPG

Beautiful garden Diane and I love this thread. Great to see a garden abroad too. Really interested in the name of the fabulous flowering plant in your first photo in post #11

Acanthus Spinous - I was looking at this earlier as thinking of expanding and planting out a border which is in partial shade. I thought at first that your mallows were anemones. They look very similar but don’t like shade like anemones. Very pretty.

Also love your waterlilies. What do you feed the fish?

The Acanthus can be classed as a thug…keep it smallish to your size allocated for it…they die back during the winter and sprout out again,all fresh and exciting as waiting for the stems to shoot up and produce there not so usual blooms… will come back and finish answering only my Boss has given me orders,laters

No.11 post is a climbing/trailing Rose @AnnieS I cannot remember planting this type, but also cannot remember what was in this area exactly before. A couple of non distinct trees were removed, then started on the pond and paving, had not made any plans, just made it up as we went along…Cleared loads and loads of Brambles, many hours of repetition with the long farm type grasses, weeds of course in abundance. It is still a work in progress like most Gardens…Main thing now is we enjoy it a lot.
The Mallow is in the shade too much,so reckon that is why the flowers are so small…

Just taken a few photos, some seem to get too much sun on them…a few close shots not fit to show as slightly fuzzy…

Gardens looking great Di.
Strawberry plants look strong. Are they eating grapes or for wine?
Some Plants in my garden aren’t doing very well think the weather in early spring has stunted them.:slight_smile:

That grape vine says Eating so hoping it taste better than the other two we have. Henryetta the chicken she eats the Vin ones and the taste is ok but gritty…

I have lost a quite a lot of plants, normally they thrive Chilie6 and the Petunia’s in one of the Photos were purchased recently…other’s are fighting to live…it is a shame but shows you how the Climate alters the growth so much…

Today I was gardening at 6.30 am, my time, otherwise the short bursts during the day is all we can do.and it is not enough to keep the Garden as we wish…

Strawberry plants where really small and new this spring, so pleased they have grown really well.
Had fruit off them already and unexpected so young. they are sprouting out babies already as well…

Hope you get a good crop and they taste good.
So you’ve bought some new plants recently, I haven’t bought any for a while now.
Agree with you re the climate where we had the cold spring plant growth was reduced. Hopefully they may pick up.
Yes short bursts is the way forward in this warm weather. :slight_smile:

I had decided a while back that I wanted a New Apple Tree. We have one at the end of your garden that products a huge amount of apples…Dry to the taste and small to boot…
I saw on the Internet a Company that would deliver a fair size tree at an affordable cost…

Thought right, just need to choose…then I read in 7 years you should expect your 1st crop of Apples…my purchased I halted…
Then out buying a few things and near to one of the stores was a good Nursery…I said to my inpatient especially with shopping,…Husband… just 5 minutes and I will be back…Well it took a tad longer because,as you go in the store,you are forced to go all around the outside of the shop before you get outside to the Plants Shrubs Trees…Chose the one I wanted…hey apples on it already…40 Euros,went to pay and Husband was there waiting …shaking head…Where do you think that is going, Di? …we don’t have the trailer…ok I said, then I will pay now and collect it later…

apple tree 8th of 8th
Looking good.and chuffed with it…
Tiles in place around the soil because of Henryetta…my unwanted hole digger…

2 Likes

8th of 8th
The Moulded Liner Type Pond, Last Evening…

1 Like

garden aug 8th
A New Hibiscus, Now In Flower,

1 Like

Your garden is lovely Dianne and the colours are great.