New vet confusion

Well looks like time has come to find a new vet tbh I’m really upset it’s happening. We have had the best independent vet in our area for the last 20 odd years. He’s cared for and pts three of our late doglets he’s presently caring for our aging pooches and I had hoped he’d see them through to the end of their lives. But yesterday as we left the surgery he said this will likely be the last time we see him as he’s so tired he’s decided to sell up and move back to South Africa. Obviously he has to do what’s best for him but looking around I can only find two other independents in our area all the others are big conglomerates.

Has anyone any recommendations for best bigger businesses because it looks like that’s the way we will have to go.

I take my doggie to Vets4pets they are very good , however you never get to see the same vet .

twister

I don’t know where you live. We live in Doncaster. We have recently changed our vet - there are two practices in the town. We are closest to the one we use so we can walk there. I don’t if that helps you any.

Check out your local Pets at Home, @twister They usually have a vet working in their shops (most, not all) and they get good reviews. I would have gone there first had I not already booked with a local one. They don’t change around either (as far as I know) so they have continuity with your pet.

It’s not just vets, my doctor of 30 years went into semi-retirement so I had to find another, I have but am still looking for a better one.

Hi I’m in Surrey near Guildford. I’ll look into vets4pets
I’m generally not keen on pats at home near here I don’t like walking a sick dog through the entire store to the vet tucked away at the back. Having had to carry a retriever into a vet in the past I don’t fancy my chances of getting our labrador into there at all.

Here you are you can check RCVS approved vets here along with their speciality…

Have you asked your own vet if he can recommend anywhere, who will be taking over your current surgery? Get chatting to the receptionistS LOL

Thankyou I’ll have a look.

Yes he’s sold up to medivet a big company. He’s not allowed to recommend outside the practice but he’s adamant it will be best not to stay on.

1 Like

Right get chatting to the receptionists and see where they may/are going to be taking their pets too?
look at vet practices near you and see what reviews response you see on face book etc and when narrowed down pop in and see what the practice feels like, just pop in and ask a general question. To be honest I think you would expect a few grumbles as no one has 100% excellent customer service.

1 Like

That’s true my vet got awful reviews he is a misery with the owners but fabulous with the animals. I never minded his bluntness as I knew he was doing the best for our dogs.