New dog? How do I explain?

Not exactly ideal. When you get a dog you need the love and the responsibility. I suspect that’s not got that quite right.

1 Like

We visited family earlier this week and left our dog at home because they have an elderly nervous cat .
( my dog is good with cats but their cat is terrified of dogs ) we left him for the first time with some dog sitters for two nights - they live in the same road as us and they said he was the best behaved dog they had ever looked after ! He played with their dog and had an ok time . I am pleased as this will mean if we have an emergency and have to leave him for any reason we have somewhere he is safe and happy .Normally if we go away for any time and he can’t come he stays with my son and his family of dog ,cats and teenagers , He loves staying with them generally however he comes everywhere with us .

1 Like

Sounds a great result Muddy.

Like I say, we always had dogs until a few years ago and we did love them. Ours came camping, caravanning and we stayed in cottages with them. We never put them in kennels and only went abroad when my son was in his late teens and looked after them.

I just don’t want my lovely new carpets messed up. I also don’t want dog hairs everywhere. Had enough of that.

Thanks Besoker. He has had dogs all his adult life and I expect he misses having them around. We did talk about this because we were in the same position and my husband was all for going out straight away and getting another but we held off and have now got used to being without a dog.

We can go out for the day and can stay out as long as we like, we can go on holiday abroad etc. like today we went out for breakfast at 10 to meet my brother, we had a few hours with him, then we wandered around the town, did some shopping, called into a book sale and had tea and cake then took the scenic route home. We didn’t get home until about 5 which we never could have done leaving dogs alone.

We got a dog when I was in my teens. He was a puppy, around six weeks old. He went everywhere when I was on the farm. Life moves on. I started university and work. I greatly missed my dog. My dear wife did the right thing when I retired. Another Collie. It clicked - my old one and my new.

1 Like