New 50inch, 4K Ultra HD Android TV

When you view TVs in the shops you have to remember that they are all displaying 4K feeds and the pictures do look stunning, but afaik, only sky broadcasts 4K on some channels, so the tv won’t be as good picture wise as it does when on display, but I doubt you will notice as when it’s set up in your room there’s nothing else to compare with, but 4K is outdated now anyway, as 8k TVs are now on sale…

That’s why I said “set up” time

No idea. - Also I was mistaken about the size it is not 75" but 55". Here is the box so you can look it up:

Are ‘pixels’ old hat now? I remember it used to be, the less pixels the better the picture.

Two years ago, I did change to a Panasonic 50" 4K Ultra HD Smart television but l had to send it back as the picture hurt my eyes as if it wasn’t in focus.
I still have my 40” dinosaur Panasonic Plasma television that l watch via SkyQ. The picture is perfect and better than the television, l returned.
Like the kettles, l posted about being a minefield, television’s aren’t far behind with all their different permutations!

Pixels are the current tech. The more the better, providing there is the signal source to take advantage of the increased number.

I think you’re right about the permutations. If I’m going to part with around £1000 upwards for a (probably OLED) 55" TV, I want to be sure the right choice is made. Not in any hurry though. What I already have is pretty decent.

Hi

My new TV is a Sony, as cheap as chips during Black Friday and is hugely better than my older LG which cost much more.

I am not sure I would describe then as cheap as chips, I think I paid $1200(ish) for my TV a year ago (halve for pounds) but you are right, you certainly get more for your buck as time goes on.

When I bought it the shop had three versions of the same model at slightly different prices (I think it was just over $150 difference between them). I did what most people do and bought the middle model though to be honest I could not see the difference in picture quality between the top and bottom models.

Hi

Apologies.

It is a Sharp Android TV. not a Sony

Stlll brilliant for me.

So much much better picture and so many more functions.

In Europe the larger Sharp TV’s are actually made by UMC, usually in Poland and the same manufacturer that makes Blaupunkt-branded TV’s.
TBH they are on a par with Vestel TV’s which are in the same ballpark price bracket.

Companies like Sony, Philips, LG and Samsung tend to make their own TV’s and that is why in all reviews the major brands like these invariably come out receiving the best reviews.

You would hope that a modern, new TV with smart features is indeed better than older technology BUT just because what you have purchased suits your needs and looks better to your eyes does not mean that it will suit everybody equally.

If it suits you then fine; after all it’s your TV.

The price difference could be to do with what processor is used. There’s a brief description of each here (scroll down the page a bit). It might all be splitting hairs.

I’ve got a hd ready Hitachi with a android box to make it a smart tv for prime, well done swims for embracing modern technology

I couldn’t bear to have something that size dominating my sitting room. If I were going to buy a TV then 18 - 20inch would be sufficient. That is the size of the monitor I use for DVDs and it is brilliant.

That’s even small by our standard Silver Tabby. All our viewing is on a 28" screen.

You either have a tiny sitting room or you forget that you sit only 1 metre or closer to your computer monitor - it is all to do with perspective and field of view.

I sit 4 metres from my set in the TV room (I could sit 5 metres away but I like being able to walk behind my chair for various reasons)

My lounge doesn’t have a TV at all but I have 40" set (non smart) in my bedroom about 3 metres from the head of the bed. I don’t think the sets dominate their respective rooms at all.

Just checked my seat is 2.1 metres from screen.

I read somewhere that for an “immersive” experience the TV should occupy 40% of your vision but when I worked that out I would need a 110" TV which would be far too expensive.

The funny thing is they recommend that you sit closer to a 4K TV than a HD TV.

To fit a bigger TV in my room I would have to raise a shelf with the amplifier and record player on it so i think I have reached my limit for a long while yet.

In the lounge, I’m around 3 metres away from a 47" screen. This is big enough but I would go to 55" for the right TV. This is the one I watch Netflix series/films or box sets on. Good sound because it’s plugged into a Dolby Atmos surround sound system.

There are other TVs in the house. Different screen sizes depending on room size.

Hi

To each their own.

The picture is stunning, loads of Channels, voice control. etc etc.

There is a a fault with it, so after a replacement.

When it works it is absolutely amazing.

I feel the same as you Tabs.
My kitchen one is 18" and the living room one is 22", and they are just right for me.

My son moved recently, and offered me his TV which was about a 50" (or just under that), but I declined. I feel same as you about not wanting it to ‘take over’ my room.

What’s the fault?

There is no 8k content about though so 4k it is. Differences between HD and 4k is heavily dependent on screen size - the smaller the screen is then the less you will notice it.

BT tv also broadcast football in 4k. BBC have shown programmes in HLG which is stunning. And Amazon Prime and Netflix have lots of 4k programming. Some of this content is HDR (high dynamic range) or Dolby Vision. So there is content out there but not on mainstream tv.