Netflix: The Queen's Gambit (2020)

Following on from:

https://forum.over50schat.com/t/the-queens-gambit/64675

Last updated Nov. 2020

I watched the series over the last 2 nights.

For me, an oddity - it falls into no category or genre that I would normally watch.

As usual, I gave the first episode a couple of minutes to captivate or bore and, 30 minutes later, I was still watching.

The series is based on a novel of the same name and, more or less, sticks to the plot, which is nothing if not predictable. However, the actors are, mostly, well-cast and very watchable. Anya Taylor-Joy as the older Beth Harmon is extraordinarily attractive and believable, carrying the film’s plot with apparent ease. Sets and locations seemed accurate to me and there were few anachronisms. If anything, the series is a coming-of-age drama and encapsulates some of the issues from the '60’s and '70’s. Chess, obviously, plays a major part in the movie but there is no requirement to understand the game.

Most of the clichés (and there aren’t many) are kept for the finale and the series proved an enjoyable experience. Sex is kept to a minimum and swearing is sparsely used in context.

1 Like

I watched this a while ago - I was gripped from the first episode.
The characters were very complex and it brought in so many strands.
I was fascinated by it.
I thought it was brilliant.

1 Like

we’ve all watched it, thanks @Bruce

https://forum.over50schat.com/t/the-queens-gambit/64675

The reviews for the series are uniformly excellent with ratings of 90% and more.

“The Queen’s Gambit” was nominated for and won a massive number of awards:

Personally, I wouldn’t rate it that highly as I’m probably not a member of its’ intended audience but it is very good … :star: :star: :star: :star:

No, we haven’t.

Oh yes we have!

I watched part of the first episode a while back and fell asleep… it was zzzz yawn!

I wish you would post about current stuff and not old hat series that most of us have watched anyway.

Oh no, we haven’t … :018:

You can’t possibly have polled all 10312 users (excluding us) in the last 10 minutes … :rofl:

Your wishes are, of course, your own business … :shushing_face:

Here’s one that will have you ROFL

1 Like

d00d, When l went to my grandson’s house he was playing a series on Netflix and it looked good… until the wife started eating their friends! It was just blood, gore and horrific!

That sounds like your grandson’s wife started eating their friends! :scream: :dizzy_face: :rofl:

Omah… Netfflix? Is this the same site as Netflix? :laughing:

Ha! It does a bit!! :laughing:

Indeed it does … :joy:

Well you’d say that, wouldn’t you!!