Netflix password sharing may be illegal, says UK government

The Intellectual Property Office (IPO) said on Tuesday the practice broke copyright law.

It is common in the UK for people who don’t live together to share their streaming service passwords, despite this typically being against terms of service agreements.

Netflix has never indicated it would take any legal action in such cases.

The IPO told the BBC it was both a criminal and civil matter.

“There are a range of provisions in criminal and civil law which may be applicable in the case of password sharing where the intent is to allow a user to access copyright-protected works without payment,” it said.

"These provisions may include breach of contractual terms, fraud or secondary copyright infringement, depending on the circumstances.

“Where these provisions are provided in civil law, it would be up to the service provider to take action through the courts if required.”

There is no evidence to suggest any of the major streaming video operators in the UK would do this.

Research firm Digital i told the Guardian in April 2022 it estimated more than a quarter of UK Netflix subscribers - around four million - were sharing their passwords.

The following month, then-Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries revealed she was one of them.

“My mum has access to my account, the kids do. I have Netflix but there are four other people who can use my Netflix account in different parts of the country,” she told the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee.

No need to panic just yet, then … :wink:

Netflix password sharing crackdown will begin in 2023.

1 Like

Will the plan work and increase subscriptions or drive subscribers away … :question:

Time will tell … :mantelpiece_clock:

Why can’t people share their information if they choose to do so? Information gets shared without consent fairly regularly, so imagine being told that you can’t share stuff which you have paid for…

ahhh, that’s it…revenue protection.

1 Like

To be fair to NetFlix, I think the issue is about abuse.

AFAIK, the current account subscription is “per household”, thus allowing for different family members with different devices.

However, passwords to accounts have been handed out willy-nilly to all and sundry, often regardless of family connections.

So, for NetFlix, users are going up while subscriptions are going down.

2 Likes

Ahh, ok I wasn’t aware of that then. Fair enough.

1 Like

Even Government Ministers:

More than a quarter of UK Netflix subscribers - around four million - are sharing their passwords.

Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries revealed she was one of them.

“My mum has access to my account, the kids do. I have Netflix but there are four other people who can use my Netflix account in different parts of the country,” she told the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee.

:open_mouth:

Presumably, those “four other people” can pass on the password, too.

1 Like

Now I’m having to think about it, I do wonder how it all works…I mean, surely making all these different accounts, with (presumably) different ISP’s would invalidate any access? So one account could have 10 or 20 users on it? How very strange :thinking:

1 Like

But not all can watch at the same time:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-many-watch-netflix-account/

Here’s a breakdown of how many devices can watch on your Netflix account at once:

• The Basic plan, which costs $9.99 per month, allows you to watch Netflix on one screen only.
  • With a Standard subscription for $15.49 a month, you can watch Netflix on two screens at the same time.
  • Those with a Premium Netflix plan, at $19.99 a month, are able to watch Netflix on four screens at once.
2 Likes

Oh, ok…well that’s interesting :+1: Who knew? Not I …

1 Like

I’ve only known since last year when terrestrial TV at XMAS was so bad that I had to subscribe to an alternative … :grinning:

1 Like

I can see the logic, and business sense, of it … Ancestry works the same way. If you pay for a subscription to use their services you can’t really expect your whole family, dotted about the country to use the same service for free.

Actually I’m surprised that Netflix have allowed anyone to do that anyway for so long.

1 Like

Netflix can follow Disney Plus which is limited to four registered devices at a time. Not much password sharing going on there since a particular device is registered against a profile.

1 Like