Nearly 50% of Australians have had Covid

I don’t know if other countries do this testing but I was very surprised by these results, I didn’t think it would have been so high even though we are currently in a surge of cases.

At least 46 per cent of Australian adults had been infected with COVID-19 by early June, according to results from Australia’s most recent blood testing of relevant antibodies.

Researchers have conducted their second “serosurvey”, testing blood donations for the presence of antibodies to SARS-CoV-2, to find the prevalence of infection had almost tripled since late February when it was estimated to be 17 per cent.

As an aside.

You will be excited to know that since yesterday the Pommies among us who lived in the UK in the 1980s and 90s are now allowed to donate blood. The restriction, placed because of mad cow disease, has now been lifted .

In the UK:

Can you tell me if I’ve had coronavirus?

No, we do not routinely test for coronavirus because there is no evidence it is transmitted through blood donation.

However, ONS does evaluate tests for the presence of antibodies against SARS-CoV-2:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/articles/coronaviruscovid19latestinsights/antibodies#antibodies

The presence of antibodies against SARS-CoV-2 suggests that a person has previously been infected with COVID-19 or vaccinated. In the week beginning 13 June 2022, the percentages of adults estimated to have antibodies at or above a 179 nanograms per millilitre (ng/ml) level were:

97.7% in England

97.6% in Wales

97.9% in Northern Ireland

97.0% in Scotland

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/articles/coronaviruscovid19latestinsights/infections

Since the start of the Coronavirus Infection Survey, the percentage of each UK country’s population that has had COVID-19 was:

70.7% in England (27 April 2020 to 11 February 2022)

56.0% in Wales (30 June 2020 to 11 February 2022)

72.2% in Northern Ireland (27 July 2020 to 11 February 2022)

51.5% in Scotland (22 September 2020 to 11 February 2022)