Nasa's Voyager 2 probe 'leaves the Solar System' - Update: Nasa fully back in contact with probe

So you are saying that 200 watts is enough to send data and twiddle an ariel 12.3 billion miles away from earth Bruce…Pull the other one.
200 watts is hardly enough to illuminate my back yard…
:sunglasses:

You really don’t know what you’re talking about when you post nonsense like this, do you?

The first rule of the forum is: Attack the post, not the poster Graham…
I didn’t read in the rules where it states that:- Only Graham’s opinions are accepted as gospel…
:wink:

Does that include your “gospel opinions” on other threads, even resorting to making false accusations and name calling? There was a lot of attacking on your part, remember?. One rule for you and not for others maybe?

1 Like

What ME? Nooooooooooooooo
:open_mouth:

OGF - steady lad steady - think about the pacemakers work?

2 Likes

It’s not me that’s getting hot under the collar Bret because I don’t believe a word of it…
:sunglasses:

No I don’t remember, examples please…

Foxy don’t go on the offensive, like me, he works with it.

1 Like

Fortunately Voyager doesn’t have to illuminate your back yard, it only has to move objects which are weighless and without air resistance to overcome. So yes 200 watts is enough for the work it has to do.

As for the signal strength, the transmitter is 24 watts so 200 watts is plenty

Plutonium 238 used in the Voyager RTG has a half life of 87 years.

Next…

1 Like

Does Voyager have “Satellite Navigation”? :smiley:

Try 5G

what would be more entiretaining to most of us plebs that don’t understand brave new worlds interplanetary travels is a nice little explanation of what has been achieved so far?? - like the speed its travelling ; planets its passed by and waved to; it’s position in the entire universe and where it is heading for - that would be interesting for starters and with a few pics thrown in to brighten up our days - thank you from the plebs!!

2 Likes

@Graham I apologise, I’m afraid I’ve been a little mischievous. I actually love science and astronomy. I visited the space centre at Cape Canaveral a few years back and marvelled at the Saturn Rockets and other stuff, including things from the moon landings…I was very impressed.
I make no apologies for my active imagination though, and my curiosity concerning most things but I do tend to challenge the established rhetoric.

I also apologise to Omah, and although I think you can see through my occasional outbursts, thank you for posting the links. Much appreciated…

Now…That Said…

I have to ask the question that if Plutonium 238 has a half life of 87 years, why are we not taking advantage of this miracle stuff here on earth? It would be such a bonus not to have to charge this laptop up for 174 years… :017:

Wouldn’t it be interesting if the voyages reappeared in a few years time coming from the opposite direction. After all, everything in space goes round in circles. The earth spins on it’s axis, the moon rotates around the earth, and the whole lot rotates around the sun…And the sun and our solar system probably rotate around something else. So it’s only feasible that eventually everything will return back to the same place…
So for 46 years the voyager has been hurtling through space at 35,000 miles an hour…How come it hasn’t hit anything?
And here’s a bright idea, why don’t we send repeaters up into space so that data can be relayed back to earth instead of trying to do it in one go. We could site them on the planets that we pass. Or suspend them in space if conditions are too violent down on the surface of say, Jupiter…?

Who said we are not? Voyager was made in the 1970s. Plutonium is probably too expensive compared to coal or solar to do anything other than light your back yard

Well I haven’t seen anything ‘Plutonium powered’ in the shops or on Amazon Bruce… :017:

You need to get out more

2 Likes

Guys, Guys, Guys…please! Something to distract.

1 Like

Yikes! trainwreck!
IMG_1218

Otherwise a very interesting thread.

2 Likes
1 Like