Mystery Plant.... Part 2

A few months ago, l posted some pics of of some plants that l grew from some random seeds l had kept.
Nobody seemed to recognise the plants but here is a pic of what they look like now. The smell from the purple flowers is really horrible.
I wonder if anyone might know the name of the plant now it’s grown bigger?

1 Like

Indian Balsam?? That is purple and smells revolting.

1 Like

The flower looks like a Salvia to me, but there are many, many different varieties.

1 Like

Thank You ST, l have googled Indian/Himalayan Balsam but the flowers are very much different.

How about ‘Stinkweed’?

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/weeds/how-to-kill-stinkweed-plants.htm

1 Like

I think it’s catnip!

After smelling it , did you feel any urge to roll in it, rub your face in it and then run wildly around the garden? :rofl:

2 Likes

Mups, Yes, The plant in the pic does look similar.
Thank Goodness, it didn’t turn out to be a bramble!

:laughing: Actually, Maree… my initials are CAT, so maybe l will just do that!

1 Like

My cousin’s initials were cat, no problem until my mum was going to knit us all a cardigan with our initials on……

1 Like

ST, 0/10 for plant knowledge…definitely not a Stinkweed!! :laughing:

Oh well - I tried!

1 Like

Yes of course you did and l am very grateful. :blush:
it was just my little return joke to you, for giving me 0/10 for Tennis History, the other day.

1 Like

LOL - I guessed as much! :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Buddleia?

1 Like

It looks like something from the mint family - do the flowers smell like liquorice?
Could it be Anise Hyssop?

1 Like

From my screen it looks like a variety of Russian Sage.

1 Like

It looks like a small form of Buddleia

1 Like

It’s definitely not a Buddleia, as the flowers on the plants l have grown are much smaller.

Boot, l think you’re right! I read the article and it looks very much like the pic in that.
That’s great… mystery solved. Thank You.

Thank You to everyone for taking the time to help me. I really appreciate it.
If any of you want a plant, just call round as l grew a few of them! I must warn you, they stink!! :laughing:

Yes, I’m inclined to agree with @Boot too. Yesterday I thought, like @Mups, that it might be Salvia, but then I noticed the leaves look more markedly serrated than the leaves of Salvia. There are lots of varieties, though, so I could be wrong.

1 Like