My review of Waitrose - still the best supermarket in the UK... but only just

We visited Waitrose two days ago for a pair of Gressingham duck breast. It’s our nearest shop that sells them. They are super expensive but I make one breast do a meal for two … lots of rice to soak up the duck fat that leaks out.

1 Like

Another luxury item …

Ouch! That’s outrageous. I guess they are cutting down on customer service training as a result of cost pressures…

1 Like

Sounds like the sort of sarky comment you’d expect in certain parts of the country. Like Gloucester for example … a woman shop worker said something similar to me: I think she suspected I’m from there, but not lived there in 50 years. I gave her a wink, made her day.

It’s interesting looking at price comparisons for this product because Ocado are trying to justify selling 340g for £9.50. While Waitrose is selling the same pack at £6.75. A 300g pack is on offer at Morrisons for £5.49 (probably the best value).

If you study marketing you learn about “psychic costs” which is the hassle of getting to the shop, possibly driving or getting a crowded bus/train. Many people ignore this because it doesn’t translate easily into a monetary value. The opportunity cost of time lost not sitting in your living room relaxing with a glass of wine.

What this does demonstrate is Ocado’s value for money gap. They have removed delivery costs in many cases but this is balanced with an increase in prices of some goods. I can see they must be struggling post-lockdown. I use them for bulk buying pet food, mineral water, soft drinks. Things that you don’t want to have to carry. They do have the best delivery service and they were the only online delivery service that I could get through to during the first lockdown (when they were still linked to Waitrose). But finding it hard to justify the high cost.

2 Likes

We quite like the excuse to take a free busride somewhere different. There’s a Morrisons in Acton … might check it out. :grin:

They don’t freeze well, losing blood when defrosted.

1 Like

Wow, you see I wouldn’t have walked from that!

Should have said “That’s because I can never find anything and the staff are pig ignorant!”

News headline… woman banned from Waitrose….

I tend to alternate between online Tescos and online Ocado. Ocado are pricey but if you’re flexible you can usually get free delivery

I don’t drive so if I wanted to do a supermarket shop, my husband drives me. We both work at the moment so time is precious so I find home delivery well worth it

Yes it’s the convenience that makes me continue to use it, plus they deliver in plastic bags so you don’t have to scrabble about on your hands and knees in a crate while the delivery guy is waiting.