Mudlarking..uncovering stuff

Anyone done this?
I quite fancy the idea!

And Nicola does loads of it!

4 Likes

I have held a Port of London Authority permit to Explore The Thames foreshore some years back. It’s a fascinating place to be in the first instance even before beginning to explore in earnest.

Here’s a pic of some clay tobacco pipes spanning a few centuries, currently on display in the front room.

1 Like

I follow Nicola on Facebook it’s exciting to watch.
The Port of London Authority has stopped issuing new permits for
mudlarking along the River Thames, to protecting the integrity and the archaeology of the foreshore, after experiencing a huge surge in popularity.
Apparently they’ve gone from issuing 200 permits four / five years ago to 5000.

The last video I watched Nicola found a military Rolex pocket watch in the mud….amazing. Although badly corroded still had the military broad arrow

3 Likes

Grief! I hadn’t realised that, I’ve just checked out The PLA website.

2 Likes

Hi

I used to take my kids along the local stream, they found lots of things.

Where I live there is a lot of magnet fishing in the rivers and pools.

3 Likes

I’ll have another dabble with the neodymium magnet this year. I’ve found a few useful bits and pieces in our local pond, some of which are now in the tackle box.

The Normark knife was quite popular during the 70s’, I distinctly remember this model being advertised in Sea Angler magazine. It needs a bit of attention, I keep meaning to get a set of decent sharpening stones/rods.
A little project to get involved in.

It’s always fascinating finding things from the past, they don’t have to be of value, it just gives me a buzz.

2 Likes

I watch Nicola’s mudlarking video’s too. All the time, fascinating what she finds in the Thames & Medway mud. I also like the way she goes from mud to the birds on the estuary’s. I have fun identifying them. Must say I never realised there were so many Egyptian Geese on the Thames. Both rivers must be super clean despite the rubbish dumped in them.

1 Like

Hi

I live next to Battlefield, Shrewsbury ,where a huge battle was fought in 1403.

There are loads of relics from the battle to be found in nearby brooks and ponds and on the banks of the Severn at low water levels in summer.

The battle itself is well worth a read about.

1 Like

I’ll definitely have a read Swimfeeders.
I paid a visit to Shrewsbury a few years ago now with my son, a long weekend.
It was a footy thing… Shrewsbury Town 3 - Crawley Town 0 :slightly_smiling_face:
We’ll have to go back someday, maybe a bit more in the way of exploring. :+1:

1 Like

@OldGreyFox do you have any mudlarking adventures to share?

2 Likes