Muddy in the Dales

We are having a couple of days in the Dales somewhere I have never been .Yesterday we went to Chatsworth great place for art work they have any amount of wonderful paintings ( load of horrible modern stuff too )
Mr Ms antecedents cam from this area , we stopped yesterday to ask directions of a gentleman who looked so like him he could have been an older brother so there is a genetic connection !
We are staying today in Tideswell a village where 20% of the houses are holiday cottages . We are staying in the pub ( I have never stayed in a pub before either) . everyone is so warm and friendly up here Mungo the social dog thinks it’s wonderful .
We are off to Eyam today ( the plague village ) and then we will play it by ear.

6 Likes

Sounds lovely, glad Mr Muddy I’d discovering his roots. Eyam should be fascinating. Some of the people who survived had a natural immunity to the plague, I wonder if their descendants still do?

Have fun!

1 Like

We know that area well @Muddy , enjoy the break…

1 Like

Theres a nice walk at Tideswell , along the walk are wood carvings , if they are still there ,
Enjoy your stay , its a beautiful area .

1 Like

Years ago I saw a documentary about a study on why , when aids was rife in the gay community, some didn’t get it, and a surprising number of those that seemed immune to it, had their ancestry tracked to Eyam.

Edited to add, enjoy your break Muddy.

2 Likes

You’re following me
I had a week in the peaks last month
Visited the plague village , Chatsworth ,Hardwick Hall is great and fantastic history .
Can really really recommend Bolsover Castle part ruin in a dream location.
Market day at Bakewell is good , however that pudding it’s an icky sticky mess yuk l

1 Like

Have a lovely time Muddy :slightly_smiling_face: I come from Derbyshire not far from Bakewell and my family all still live there, my brother in a farmhouse which you will probably pass on the way to Eyam.

I can’t drive far these days and miss my visits ‘home’ where when walking my dog everyone I meet is very friendly and says ‘‘How do’’ when passing.

1 Like

Have a lovely time, Muddy, take lots of photos!

1 Like

It sounds lovely, Muddy, have a lovely time!

1 Like

There are not many hills I haven’t run up round there Muddy, I do miss it…
Hope the weather stays nice for you…

1 Like

The dales are my favourite place with so much beautiful scenery, I’m in awe of the countryside and feel so peaceful when we are there. Enjoy every moment which I am sure you will. Hope the weather is kind to you.

The Dales is somewhere i would dearly love to live.

1 Like

The problem is Lion Queen, it’s a bit of a ‘Honey Pot’ at weekends in the summer.

Well, I never knew there was a difference between a Bakewell Tart and a Bakewell pudding until I just looked it up :thinking:

Yes Bakewell pudding from Bakewell is very sweet and greasy :expressionless:
I’ll have almond Bakewell tart :grinning: or a cherry bakewell

1 Like

Hi

Almond Bakewell Tart is heaven.

Yes delicious

It’s very beautiful up here I am most impressed
We went to the plague village today and in the museum .
There was a family there with Mr Ms surname . They all died except one little child .
Eyam seems to have lost a great many young men in the Great War for a small village
We also went in the Blue John cave ( surprisingly they allow in dogs and small children so Mungo had a lovely time being petted by the children who were not interested in the guides spiel )
Ended up walking around Dovedale which is beautiful . Now we are cream crackered having done too much in one day .:slight_smile:

Matlock Tor is lovely for walking!

It’s all so lovely I will have to come back again :slight_smile: