MPs told to smarten up their clothing ahead of Commons return

With the age of the virtual Commons now over, Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle has updated the “Rules of behaviour and courtesies” in the House. He has alerted MPs to required dress standards, insisting clothing such as jeans and chinos are not allowed.

It represents a toughening of the advice from his predecessor, who said there was “no exact dress code”. John Bercow’s last set of rules said typical business clothing was merely a suggestion.

The crackdown follows a number of moments when parliamentary fashion made headlines. Former Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt was rebuked by Sir Lindsay in December for not dressing smartly enough during a Commons debate on Covid-19. And prior to the pandemic, the then Labour MP Tracy Brabin - who is now Mayor of West Yorkshire - attracted attention when her dress slipped off her shoulder at the dispatch box.

Sir Lindsay’s new guide states MPs should remember “the way in which you dress should demonstrate respect for your constituents, for the House and for the institution of Parliament in the life of the nation.
Members are expected to wear business attire in and around the Chamber,” it says. “Jeans, chinos, sportswear or any other casual trousers are not appropriate. T-shirts and sleeveless tops are not business attire. Smart/business shoes are expected to be worn. Casual shoes and trainers are not appropriate. Men are encouraged to wear a tie, and jackets must be worn. It is a privilege to serve as a Member of Parliament and your dress, language and conduct should reflect this.”

Sir Lindsay has also moved to clamp down on rowdiness in the Commons.

Singing is to be banned, potentially averting a repeat of the scenes from Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s proroguing of Parliament in September, 2019, when Labour MPs protested by singing songs including the Red Flag and Scots Wha Hae.

The new rules state that “singing and chanting are not permitted in the chamber” and that “clapping is also not allowed as it eats into the time available for debate”.

MPs have also been told to pay attention: “When listening to a debate you should not read books or newspapers or obviously devote yourself to your phone or other electronic device.”

It’s that last which annoyed me - too often (before the pandemic), MPs heads would be bent over a phone or a tablet - who knew what they were doing? Phoning home, ordering a pizza for later, answering their doorbell remotely, catching up on a soap opera … :man_shrugging:

Oh Crumbs :joy: They won’t like that. They like to be the ones giving the orders, not receiving them.

Our Nationals MPS are far too busy texting prostitutes to pay attention to the mundane business of Parliament.

No doubt they will use it as an excuse to wring more money out of the tax payers by claiming clothing allowance!

I agree on all those rules , times ive seen them on their Mobiles , thats not on , another one i don’t like to see is them a sleep , that down right not paying attention . And I believe they are paid to attend , cannot call it attending when they are in dream land .

How was that MP’s exchange of texts obtained?

But if we are talking about dress codes how about they do not look like prats when visiting some army base in the middle of a desert and they are dressed for the office.

That’s the Lords, Eliza. They get about £313/day attendance allowance. MPs get a salary.

As for MPs using their phones/tablets during debates, etc, perhaps they’re updating their twitter accounts with “important up-to-the-minute information from the debate as it happens”? On the other hand, as Omah says, they could just be ordering a pizza or playing games. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I don’t know but I would suggest the sex worker was able to get her phone’s screen repaired after telling her story to the press.

Well it seemed to have worked ?
Did you see Boris’s hair today ??
Still a lot of dandruff on his jacket though !! :grin::grin:
Donkeyman! :+1::+1:

I did notice Boris’s hair and I am assuming he did not go to a professional for that haircut, looks very much like my lockdown effort.:smiley::smiley::smiley: