Mouse plague in Australia!

It’s very sad to see a rabbit dying of myxomatosis it’s a horrible lingering death.

Quite right Brucy, seems you are using Baz’s link for your knowledge ?

Donkeyman!

Quite.

Donkeyman!

Intensive baiting programmes have so far had little success against the infestation, and locals are hoping for heavy rain to drown the mice in their burrows.

Sadly, the locals are getting more than they hoped for:

Emergency authorities in Australia are warning of “life threatening” flash floods as torrential rains batter parts of the country’s east coast.

Dozens of people have been rescued from floodwaters, and residents in many low-lying communities of New South Wales have been ordered to leave their homes.

Police say hundreds of people have flocked to evacuation centres in areas north of the city of Sydney.

Major roads have been shut. Footage has emerged of a house being swept away.

Warragamba dam in Sydney, the city’s main water source, has begun to overflow for the first time since 2016, and WaterNSW warns others are also expected to spill over.

Up to 100mm (four inches) of rain is forecast for Sydney, and as much as 300mm for the lower Blue Mountains, west of the city.

More storms are forecast in the coming days, and parts of eastern Australia could receive up to a metre of rain in the space of just a week, the BBC’s Phil Mercer in Sydney reports.

:shock:

As usual Assman you are 100% wrong I don’t need anybody’s link for those little pearls of wisdom. I said where I got the information from. I always quote links if I use them.

Alas the east coast is not where the mice are.

Oh, well … :102:

I had read this:

The government may be wary of spending up to tens of millions to try to eradicate the mouse plague, when a cold snap or heavy rains could wipe them out naturally.

and my limited knowledge of Australian geography did the rest … :!:

Actually there is a cloud band stretching from NW Australia to the eastern coast of NSW but as I understand the forecast it is feeding into the trough stuck down the east coast which is giving us the bad weather and floods we are experiencing at this moment.

The rainfall maps don’t really show any large falls west of the divide in NSW (that’s the Great Dividing Range)

This is the map for the next 24 hours as you can see falls are diminishing and there are no heavy falls predicted. However rain is expected to continue until Wednesday which will continue to cause problems on the already saturated east coast.

Definitely not an expert on weather forecasting so can only repeat BOM information

If past mouse plagues are anything to go by winter will remove the problem.

This went to air last night

How things can change in a day!

According to this evening’s news flood warnings have been issued for tomorrow as a trough develops across the NW of NSW. Perhaps those little mouses might drown after all.

That looks like eastern Ozzy to me Brucy ??
 Do you mean to say you get infested EVERY summer ?

Donkeyman!

That was a stunning report. I’ve never seen anything like it!

It seems to me that if the “solution” of using poison sends the mice to water sources, it just creates an even greater hazard, but I am not sure what is.

I can’t help but feeling sympathy for both the people and the mice. It’s a bad deal.

But they have to FIND a water source SM?
Ozzie is classed as a water deficient country so mice usually die
before they find water!
BTW, l thought it was oxygen mice look for not water??
Maybe this varies with what poison is used ?

Donkeyman!

Good for you Assman you got something right, yes NSW is in eastern Australia. Pat yourself on the back.

[CENTER]https://media.giphy.com/media/iDJrIOR9kHTtfnEcHO/giphy.gif[/CENTER]

As for mice plagues I would guess that they occur somewhere in Australia every 10 or 20 years when conditions are exactly right, ie good harvest for food and wet conditions for moisture. Likewise if conditions are right we get locust plagues though the last one I can remember was when my kids were young - to this day I keep fly screen wire across the front of my car as a precaution.

The rain in the central west (of NSW) will not be enough to wipe the mice out but will reduce numbers because it will flood their burrows and kill the young (according to news reports today).

Well the floods we see on our telly look pretty big to me Brucy??
Definitely more than enough to drown a mouse ??

Donkeyman!

I would have thought because of the floods that all sorts of wild creatures who normally make their ‘homes’ under ground have got flooded out, so have had to leave their burrows, nests, tunnels etc to find new accommodation and a food supply pretty quick?

That is so Mups!
But don’t forget, one female can pop out six new little mouse’s
at one shot !!

Donkeyman!

Yes I know m’dear, but I was offering a possible explanation of why everywhere is inundated with them all of a sudden.
It made sense to me that one reason could be because they have all had to surface in their multitudes into the above-ground human world because their underground homes have been flooded. :slight_smile:

I agree Muddy. Years ago I used to see rabbits blinded and struggling quite a lot, but haven’t seen any for years now.

Of course they look big Assman, you are obviously thinking in terms of living on a relatively small European island and one mouse. Australia is a big country, the floods probably cover an area the size of England (as did last year’s bush fires) but it is only a tiny area of NSW. You just have no idea of the scale.

A town called Moree is copping the floods at the moment it is not that far inland but it is about 950km north west of me which is about the same distance as London to Milan. Moree is much closer to Broken Hill than me but it is still 850km and a time zone away yet all are still in NSW. (Those are straight line distances, it is a lot further by road.)

I don’t know how these floods will affect the mouse plague, it will no doubt reduce their numbers but mice can swim and climb and it will take a biblical flood to get rid of them. I think they will only be controlled by the cold weather as has happened in the past.