Money Saving Tips!

Oh absolutely…they come with two little zip up bags so you don’t get nuts in everything. They have Saponin in their shells which is a natural cleaning detergent. I just get a handful and put in some water, shake it up, empty it into the dispenser I’m using, then add a scoosh of lemon juice.

2 Likes

Excellent. Any recommended supplier/shop, or do you Amazon them?

I “Amazoned” them

1 Like

We’ve had a Santander account for ages. No doubt there’ll be better ones out there, but they’ve informed us tgat they’ll be giving us 4% cashback on our utility bills for a couple of months (instead of the usual 2%).

There may be other banks tgat do this sort of thing, so might be worth having a look round.

I bought a laundry egg earlier this year but there’s just as much cost in replacing beads and you still need fabric conditioner unless you like clothes and towels like sackcloth.

I do they dry better and exfoliate at the same time :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have one of those dry skin brushes for that.

I did wonder about laundry eggs as they are on offer at Sainsburys

I wasn’t terribly impressed but some people swear by them. I just swear at them because it cost £11 and I don’t use it!

1 Like

I have one but haven’t used it much I always forget it’s there but they are ok

1 Like

Hi

Bleach Tablets, really cheap and really effective.

An example is here

Hi

Late this afternoon was my first trip out shopping in 29 days.

It was just a quick trip to Lidl, for the absolute basics, I had spent 3 weeks literally in bed.

It was painful in more than just the legs.

Empty shelves and price rises.

It was quite shocking, especially the price rises on what could be considered absolute essentials, nothing flash or fancy.

There was no cheap butter or spreads, empty shelves and what was left had shot up, and not by pennies.

This is not going to be a good winter, for anyone.

2 Likes

Can you use them in a cold water wash, Pixie?

1 Like

The lowest temps I have tried them at is 30° wash at 15 mins, so I can’t answer for an actual cold wash. It cleans at that temp. Also, with the scooshy bottles, that’s room temp and it cleaned up a mark on my white coffee table, so…:woman_shrugging: All you can do is try, no harm done. They don’t lather up though, just sayin’ if you expect to see bubbles, you won’t.

Thanks, Pixie, I am going to try them - just put an order in with Amazon!

1 Like

Saw something on TV t’other day which made me think (no doubt many of you do this anyway).

If you use your main oven, cook a load of other things while youre at it which can be chilled and/or frozen and reheated quickly (especially if you use a microwave or air frier).

Never occurred to me until I saw someone cook a load of jacket potatoes, let them cool before scooping out to mix with other stuff and refill the jackets. Then you could refreeze them for another day as a quick meal.

Bleeding obvious, now it’s been pointed out to me. Next time we need the main oven, we’re going to do this.

2 Likes

Spot on Dex, I keep promising myself that I’m going to make homemade mash, divide it up into portions and freeze it, I’ve lost count of the times I’ve seen bags of potatoes reduced in price and going for a pittance at the local convenience shop.

I threw caution to the wind recently and bought one of these

it’s about time I got my arse into gear and actually used it!

2 Likes

We sometimes get loaded potato skins from M&S for a quick meal and freeze them if were not going to have them soonish. Then we saw some cook on morning TV making them (nothing special and we’ve done it in the past at times), and she mentioned that it’s worth cooking a few at a time and storing them in the fridge to reheat. Aha!! Eureka! The penny dropped.

Warmer clothes?