Modern Car - taking all the skill out of driving?

Would all the charging points conk out in a power cut?

What happens if there is a queue like there is at busy garages sometimes?

What are we supposed to do to kill time while a car is on charge?

Oh I like that feature, I have it on my Ecoboost model. Saves fuel (and the planet from losing any more coral reefs). It’s only a matter of pushing down the clutch and you’re started up again :slight_smile:

Well, the local Morrison’s supermarket have half a dozen or so charging points alongside the disabled parking spaces so I give you one guess as to what could be done while waiting? :slight_smile:

Mind you, in probably three or more years I have only ever seen one car on charge there! :wink: :slight_smile:

If the government want us all to be driving electric cars by 2025 or whenever it is, every house in the country will need to be fitted with a charging point, which we will have to pay for.
Then it will drain our resources, the National Grid will implode and we will all go back to riding horses.
Oh, hang on…we can’t. What about greenhouse gases?
Tbh we’re knackered.

I have the same on my VW Golf 1.6 TDI Blue Motion, not easy to get used to at first but now I almost forget about it. One time recently though, I was approaching a queue of cars at the traffic lights and on seeing the lights were going to change to green, I slowed down so that feature was not used – and a BMW driver overtook me and nipped into that space in front of me, what an idiot! He obviously had never read the Highway Code, which I recall states, no overtaking at traffic lights! :shock: :confused: :frowning:

Indeed … I did the same … :lol:

Only those drivers forced to do a daily urban crawl in the rush hour will either gain or provide benefits from utilising stop-start systems … :wink:

There already are. But your 13A socket can put out just under 4kW. And you would get less than that from the charger bearing in mind that the charger is not 100% efficient so there will be some losses.

The Nissan Leaf E would take 32 hours to charge from a domestic socket. Battery capacity is 62kWHh.
That’s an average 24 hour electrical energy consumption of 46.5 kWh.
To put that in context, average household electrical energy consumption is about 13kWh a day.

The range is claimed to be up to 239 miles. That’s at a steady 45mph. Increase the speed and the range drops dramatically.

Er, I was being sarcastic.

Not necessary. By then, the EU will have taken us over completely and everyone will be driving on the right!

The rules don’t apply to Beamer drivers, you should know that by now. :lol:

No, it’s just a switch Mups. On is off and off is on. :shock:

The range does sound good but it still doesn’t alter the fact that my car is parked roughly 300 yards from my house most of the time :lol:

It will depend on the make/model but here’s an example:

How To Turn Off The Stop Start Function Ford Fiesta 2015 EcoBoost

:cool:

I, too, have a Golf. Disabling the engine cut-out is quite easy as there is a button just to the left of the gear stick. I try to remember to push it whenever we set off. I would prefer it, though, if they’d made it a toggle switch that would remain off until you want to put the feature on.

Ah, BMW drivers! Yes, they all live up to their reputations, don’t they? :lol::lol::lol:

Unfortunately, they also run the risk of a flat battery too!

Only if they’re on red, though!

Most stop/start sytems will restart when the battery starts “draining”, which will happen sooner rather than later when the environmental control and audio/video sytems are in use alongside dashcams/mobile phone chargers/games machines, etc. … :wink:

I can get close to 1,000 miles on one tank of fuel. And maybe a 15 minute in and out. So, no, I don’t think it is a good range. And, if you drive at 65mph, you get about 150 miles. I don’t know how it would fare in stop-start traffic.

I suppose the option for you would be to recharge at a commercial charging station. There are beginning to be more of them about. But how do you occupy your time during the charge period?

Smartarrse! :mrgreen:

Yes, of course Longdogs, silly me I forgot that they are a law unto themselves! :confused: :slight_smile: