Modern Car - taking all the skill out of driving?

That’s the thing isn’t it.

I see what you mean with that scenario, it could happen I guess, although my car is garaged so probably less likely for this to happen than with one parked in the street all night.

Most non-starting faults in winter are usually down to batteries that are on the way out, the cold just finishes them off. That’s been my experience with my previous cars.

One other interesting thing though, with these stop/start batteries they are probably heavy duty compared to usual regular batteries, how much are they going to cost when requiring replacement? The same with the starter motors, they also take more wear and tear?

AFAIK, cars with Stop/Start systems just use “regular” batteries and starter motors now enhanceed by modern technology so a battery will last at least six years and a starter motor 500,000 starts (compared to 50,000 on old motors).

As far as cost is concerned, for Ford, for example, batteries and starter motors seem to be around the hundred pound mark.

No, they use special stop/start batteries. A quick check on Haldords website lists a regular 096 battery at £92 and a stop/start 096 at £157.

I hope that is the case as I fully expected those parts to cost far more than those fitted to a regular car without start/stop. My VW Golf has only done 20,000 miles and it’s now coming up to six years’ old so that will confuse any statistics. Hopefully there are a good number of useful years left in it though. No doubt though those parts will cost more than the comparative Ford parts, that seems to be the way with German-made cars. Comparing my last car, a Ford Focus with the VW Golf though, the build quality of the Golf is far better than the Focus.

That’s going to produce one hell of a large electricity bill at the end of each quarter Besoeker…:shock:

But most users won’t have to fully recharge their cars every day so the cost saving over petrol will be substantial, as will the loss of tax revenue.

That is rather what I expected. No doubt it is not possible to change the batteries over either, that will require a ‘special’ procedure to reset the computer or something similar.

There’s no doubt about it, the modern cars may be better in a lot of respects but they are also being used as ‘cash cows’ by the manufacturers and main dealers. My local VW dealer is now charging around £100 an hour for labour! :confused: :slight_smile:

Ours is serviced by them whilst under warranty. After that, it will be our local garage.

Thanks for the update … :slight_smile:

So electric cars will be silent? Oh dear, that might be a problem for some…eg. Cars coming around blind corners when you’re crossing the road.

A lot of vehicle noise actually comes from the tyres but at low speed they would be virtually silent.

Info about batteries here

https://batteryworld.varta-automotive.com/en-be/car-battery-start-stop

Very true. Whenever cars pass along our road, all I hear is tyre noise.

Except, of course, for the occasional infantile boy racer who believes that revving his engine to destruction (assuming that he is actually driving his own car :roll:) lends him an impressively, if undeserved, powerful personality!

That will be my choice from next year. The last service was advised as going to cost me £179, then I received a telephone call to say that as the car was five years’ old the timing belt would need replacing – £479, and then I was advised the brake fluid needed changing, another £64.

So a five-year-old car having done just 16,000 miles needed to £722 spent on it! I hadn’t even replaced a tyre on it then, and last week the two front tyres were replaced by the local garage, far less than the price VW dealer quoted me!

I enquired at the local garage about the cost of replacing the timing belt – £350, that will be done after Christmas and the next service and MoT will be booked with them too.

The labour charge at the local garage is £50 an hour, their mechanics are all time-served mechanics. Their courtesy cars are part of the service. The VW dealer charges £15 to have your name put on the courtesy car insurance, they charge almost £100 an hour – need I say more!

The local garage also doesn’t need to advertise, their work is all by word of mouth and they are always very busy.

:shock: Once again the public have to pay to save the planet.

I have seen a few electric cars in our car park and their silence is a bit eerie tbh. :frowning:

Don’tcha just love 'em? :twisted:

Hi

I have a diesel, next car, my last one, will also be a diesel automatic, ex works, with stop and start.

Batteries will not be an issue, even after Brexit.

I am happy with low emission diesels.

I suppose some of us grow up sooner than others.

Trouble is Swim, diesels are compression firing and run better after they’ve warmed up, turning off the engine frequently allows the engine to cool and then requires more diesel to bring it back up to temperature.
Plus, diesel that has pooled in the cylinders when stopping the engine will be chucked out unburned before firing…You might be saving the planet but wasting fuel and money…

The benefit to the planet, or even local pollution will be negligible compared to all the large commercial vehicles in the queue who don’t benefit from stop/start technology. The green party seem to be targeting the wrong people about saving the planet, big multinationals contribute a million times the pollution and CO2 etc that the general population does, but we are bearing the brunt…