Mobile Shop Vans

There was a (profoundly deaf, not that it matters) bloke who did some work on our next door neighbour’s house a few years ago. Very old fashioned with not a power tool in sight. He used to trundle his stuff up the road every day on a hand pulled cart. A big one too, probably 8 feet by 5 feet. All his work was excellent!!

3 Likes

People of that caliber usually do fantastic work. They think of themselves as tradesmen (and they are) and take pride in the work they do.

3 Likes

Plus, being deaf meant he didn’t have a radio blasting out everywhere!!

2 Likes

In the States if a construction site is playing music, chances are it’s not in English.

2 Likes

Snake oil peddler LOL!

1 Like

It cures all ails Step Right Up! :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

In one village a bloke came around in an old coach.Fruit and veg,bakery stuff,tea,coffee,sweets ,newspapers and some hardware.All us kids got worried if he was late.

3 Likes

Count the days into years
his eighty two brings many fears
Yesterday’s laughter turned to tears
his arms and legs don’t feel so strong
his heart is weak, there’s something wrong
Opens windows in despair
tries to breathe in some fresh air
his conscience cries: “Get on your feet.
without you, Jack, the town can’t eat”.

Grocer Jack, grocer Jack. get off your back.
go into town. don’t let them down. Oh no. no.
Grocer jack. grocer Jack. get off your back.
go into town, don’t let them down, Oh no. no.

The people that live in the town
don’t understand
He’s never been known to miss his round,
“It’s ten-o’clock”, the housewives yell.
“When Jack turns up we’ll 'give him hell.”

Husbands moan at breakfast tables
No milk. no egg. no marmalade labels
Mothers send their children out
to Jack’s house to scream and shout

Grocer Jack, grocer Jack. get off your back
come into town. don’t let us down. Oh no. no.
Grocer Jack, grocer Jack. get off your back
come into town. don’t let us down. Oh no. no.

A Sunday morning bright and clear
Lovely flowers decorate the marvellous square
People cry and walk away and think about the fateful day
Now they wish they’d given Jack more affection and respect
Little children dressed in black don’t know what happened to old Jack

Grocer Jack, grocer Jack, is it true what mummy says,
you won’t come back, oh no, oh no
Grocer Jack, grocer Jack, is it true what mummy says,
you won’t come back, oh no, oh no

1 Like

My sister and used to think it was a bout a small knight, we used to sing is as

Grow Sir Jack

3 Likes

See just how educational OFF can be if the mods n bots allow uninterrupted free speech :ok_hand::+1:

3 Likes

Well, I suppose it all goes to show the benefit of finding something you’re good at and want to be knowledgeable about, such as being a grocer, fishmonger, butcher etc, and keeping to that rather than stick your nose into things you don’t really know about and then interfere and ruin it for others, and then having a tantrum and sulk when you’ve made a right old hash of cutting the bacon.

1 Like

I like to live and let live. We all learn from each other and never too old to learn or pass on what we have learned along life’s rich and generous way.

1 Like

Same here. Live and let live, and don’t get overly involved in things I haven’t got a clue about.

That’s why I’m happy to employ others that do, including those who travel round in vans selling things.

1 Like

There was a Rag and Bone man’s horse and cart when I was a child picking up old clothes and metal. Milk that was delivered by horse and cart, likewise the bread. Not really vans.

All the gardeners in the street standing by with shovel and pail as they went past.

2 Likes

I have seen various vehicles come around the area…Deli Butchery and Bread goods…some are daily most seem about weekly. Great service for those that are stuck more at home in a Rural Environment like ours.
Occasionally I have seen a vehicle sales van that has clothes and various other goods…
Not my scene as I like to browse and shop and a vehicle makes me feel like I should be buying the goods…

3 Likes

When I lived in Folkestone we used to get a few French onion sellers arrive on the cross channel ferries. They arrived in the morning, cycled around the streets selling onions then caught the late ferry back to Boulogne.

You didn’t need a passport for a day trip.

2 Likes

We lived on a farm. It was fairly remote. The closest town was six miles away with a population of just 4,000. But we had vans that came to our front door once a week. Groceries and a butcher.

Interestingly, or otherwise, the cycle is repeating itself some decades later. We get groceries delivered to our door. This is now because of Covids - we try to avoid public places.

4 Likes

Oh Yes - forgot about him - Dandelion and Burdock with an icecream floater - bliss!!

3 Likes

I love that song, thanks for posting it, LD.
I know all the words too. :grinning:

1 Like