Military activity in airspace around Ukraine

I have just had an email from flightradar24.com & included in the news is information about military activity to be seen in the airspace around Ukraine.

I know from my own observations that the USAF Lakenheath is sending regular flights to circle over Romania, close to the Ukraine boarder.

The article for those interested can be found via the link below.

For those concerned about the information being in the public domain. The military have the option of flying masked, but are choosing to have these aircraft in the open.

1 Like

There has been extensive air activity here in Norfolk the past few days.Particularly so this morning. We are not so far from Lakenheath and Mildenhall.

1 Like

Hi

That is no indication at all as to what is happening in the airspace around the Ukraine.

You need to look at the military buildup of aircraft in Poland, in particular around Lodz.

There is currently no No Fly Area in the Ukraine.

The USA do however have the necessary planes in the air 24/7 and being refuelled in the air minutes from the Ukrainian Border.

I live some distance away from the bases, but within Norfolk. But I can hear the radio traffic of aircraft leaving & returning & have been watching local activity on flightradar24 etc.

Not totally true. Several aircraft are leaving Lakenheath daily for activity over Romania.

Hi

Romania is a NATO Country, as such USA Surveillance Aircraft have access to their airspace and have done for years.

It is nothing unusual.

I suppose that we should be proud to be America’s unsinkable aircraft carrier!

It is unusual when they are flying down there daily from Lakenheath to spend a few hours circling & then return home. Some days I have seen one aircraft doing it in the morning & a second in the afternoon. The type of activity we are seeing is not normal, because the situation in that area is not normal.

The aircraft are also using German bases. But Lakenheath has a long history of being involved in this type of activity. The old Lockheed Blackbird aircraft flew out of Lakenheath. As did some bombing missions into Iraq.

And you can bet they’re flying “in the open” to prevent being shot down by some rogue Ruskie if you ask me.

Or so that everyone, including the Russians can see what they are doing, as a show of force.

2 Likes

We had 2 Osprey VTOL aircraft fly over our village tonight. The noise was deafening and I thought they were going to land on our house! I don’t know much about aircraft but local planespotters recognised them and I googled them and they are very weird looking. cross between plane and helicopter and huge.

There has been an astonishing amount of aircraft over Yorkshire in the last few days! Don’t know where they will have come from as most of our local airfields are defunct.

1 Like