Met Office vs BBC Weather - which is better for you? (Poll) (Also US/AU/Rest of world options)

The Met Office forecasts are consistently more accurate than BBC Weather for me here in Wales - what about where you live?

Which weather forecast is more accurate for you?
  • UK - Met Office
  • UK - BBC Weather
  • UK - Other (please say in thread!)
  • US - Weather.gov
  • US - CNN Weather
  • US - Other (please say in thread!)
  • AU - bom.gov.au
  • AU - weatherzone.com
  • AU - Other
  • EU - Country’s official weather service
  • EU - Country’s main broadcaster service
  • EU - Other (please say in thread!)
  • Rest of world - Country’s official weather service
  • Rest of world - Country’s main broadcaster service
  • Rest of world - Other (please say in thread!)
0 voters
1 Like

Ventusky…

Ventusky - Wind, Rain and Temperature Maps

1 Like

I thought the BBC Weather info was provided by the Met Office.

Anyway, I always have the BBC Weather webpage for my postcode open, it’s constantly updated, and pretty good.

2 Likes

Nope - they ditched it years ago:

One thing I have noticed is the BBC’s weather forecast is almost always colder/cloudier - it’s almost is if they don’t want people to be out enjoying themselves!!

1 Like

Hmmm I don’t know, but I have noticed that every day there’s a symbol to sum up the forecast for that day, like the one below, but when you click on it for more details, it can mean dry all day but rain at 7pm. So not an accurate summary.

1 Like

This is the page that greets me when ever I turn on my computer and open my browser…

It’s my local BBC weather page and it’s really accurate. Well, for 24 hours it is. The further out you go the less accurate it becomes but basically it still more or less covers the temperature and approaching stormy weather. The most accurate weather forecast for the following day for this area comes from the BBC evening news (Look North), a bloke called Paul Hudson, When I was a postman I checked the weather each evening to decide which clothes to wear on my morning walks and he was hardly ever wrong…I also follow him on X (formerly twitter)

1 Like

In Oz it’s BOM is best.

1 Like

As @Psmith said you can’t go past BOM. It is a completely free service and very comprehensive.

When I was in the UK I wrote to the Met Office complaining about the quality of their radar maps etc compared to BOM and received a very nice email back saying it was all to do with the funding model. BOM is completely funded by the government to provide a service for all Australians whereas the UK Met Office is only partially funded by government and is a user pays subscription model.

I thought that was a quite interesting difference perhaps explained by the on going influence of the farm lobby here?

BTW

BOM has just declared that ENSO (El Niño-Southern Oscillation) is now neutral

https://media.bom.gov.au/releases/1221/april-16-2024-climate-driver-update-tropical-pacific-ocean-now-enso-neutral/

nino3_4

1 Like

There wouldn’t be many people who don’t have the BOM app on their phone it includes moving radar images with predictions of 90minutes into the future (prediction is a recent radar feature) as well as the forecast for the next seven days.

No rain about at the moment!

1 Like

This is what i get, simple, basic, and sometimes correct!

1 Like

I’ve both BBC & Met app , preferring the Met

1 Like

Forecast for today and the next seven days. Think I’ll stick with that.

2 Likes

On my phone
rain today - radar rain map
Accuweather

1 Like

Same Ripple - Met Office always reports warmer temps (which are more accurate). BBC always reports colder or cloudier than what we actually get…

1 Like

I have often used BBC forecasts in the past but over the last couple of years have almost exclusively looked at the Met Office forecasts on their web site. This seems dependable but UK weather can, I understand, be notoriously unpredictable. Yesterday there was a sudden hail storm just as I was leaving the house. Fortunately I sheltered in the alcove by the front door. Some builders were on a scaffold and I heard a very loud yell of AAARRRGGGHHH! Must have been like being pelted with a vast number of frozen peas and nowhere to hide!