Masters of Horror

I saw this picture and it brought a thousand and one memories back to me of the Hammer horror films in those days

I’ll never forget how I was traumatised by The Skull that floated through the air hehe so funny now but terrified me at the time.

Another one that I was peeping through my fingers at was The Gorgan. If you looked at her you turned to stone eeek.

Frankenstein and Dracula, these three were the masters of horror films.

Great actors for the day and sadly missed

1 Like

Wow he had a good voice too. I dont remember him singing

I love those old films. Like you, as a very young girl I was terrified by a horror film that is actually very funny. I was about 14 and was babysitting my much younger sister, who was tucked up in bed, watching Vincent Price in “The pit and the pendulum”. I hadn’t been allowed to watch any horror films, but there was no one home to tell me not to. I was petrified.

For years I thought it must have the scariest film ever made, till I saw it again when I was in my 20s and found it was a spoof horror film, with dear Vincent Price hamming it up for all he is worth.

I still have mega crushes on Peter Cushing and Cristopher Lee, I do like a man with cheekbones. Doesn’t really explain my pash for Peter Lorre, but the heart wants what it wants.

1 Like

Christopher Lee trained as an opera singer, Queenie. I have a couple of his CDs. Have you read his autobiography “Tall, Dark and Gruesome”? He certainly had an interesting life!!

1 Like

Yes I grew up watching the hammer horror films, I remember having a small portable black and white tv in my room watching them and being scared witless, happy days….

2 Likes

No but I might have to read that

It is a good read!

1 Like

I remember a film called Premature Death ,it starred Ray Milland who had a fear of being buried alive ,in his family was an illness which would put them in a death like state ,but were alive with no way of speaking or moving .

2 Likes

I remember that one - it was another of Edgar Allan Poe’s stories I think.

yes it was Tabs, it put me off being buried. Ive paid for a Cremation ,it will be over quick…

1 Like

I remember when my sister lived back at home after her 1st marriage failed, I’d just been watching a hammer horror film late into Friday night, as I was trying to sleep, I heard a noise , a tapping on my bedroom window, paralysed with fear, I pulled the covers up to my eyes, still the tapping went on, only louder, I had to investigate, my sister, returning from a night out, had forgotten her key and was trying to attract my attention by using the clothes prop to tap on the window, thankfully it wasn’t Dracula, claiming another victim….:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

Or the Raven.