Lying energy supplier

My energy supplier is Octopus Energy (or Co-op). I received an email from them dated 31/12 stating my prices would not be going up in January.

Today I receive my energy statement for the month 6/12 to 5/1, and what have they done? Put their bloody unit prices up!! Gas has gone up from 14.04 to 16.24, electric from 50.39 to 65.23.

I phoned a friend (as you do) and asked her again about her recent monthly cost. I thought she’d said £500 but it’s £300. She is also with Octopus and had that same email saying prices wouldn’t go up. She won’t get her statement for another couple of weeks so will check it then.

In the meantime I have emailed Octopus, replying to both the December message and today’s, asking them to explain.

Rant over. For now.

1 Like

Wholesale gas prices are comparatively lower now than they have been, but the domestic customer is still seeing price rises. Add to that electricity where most of base load is gas generated, the customer is being ripped off big time.

1 Like

Just to say Octopus is **not ** the Co Op . You probably joined thru the latter . Some did via M&S .
I joined direct with Octopus and I’m three quarters of the way into a 2 year fixed plan .

So why does the email say Coop Energy??! Do you think I’m daft?

Wiki says:

The Midcounties Co-operative, branded as Your Co-op, is a consumer co-operative in the United Kingdom with over 700,000 members. Registered in England under the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014, it is a member of Co-operatives UK and the Co-operative Retail Trading Group.

The Society’s principal activity is retailing in parts of the West Midlands, South West, and South East regions, however some of its businesses do trade nationally. Its trading groups are Food, Funeralcare, Travel, Pharmacy, Phone Co-op, Post Office, Childcare and Flexible Benefits. The society is also active in domestic gas and electricity supply through its Co-op Energy brand, and in community-owned energy generation through a partnership with Octopus Energy.

Co-op Energy launched in 2010 as an alternative to the Big Six energy suppliers. The company has three sites: one office in Warwick and two in Walsall.

In November 2016, Co-op Energy announced that it would take on all 160,000 customers of collapsed firm GB Energy on their existing price tariff.

In May 2018, Co-op Energy announced that it had acquired Flow Energy, which had approximately 130,000 customers at the time. Co-op Energy said that Flow Energy would remain a separate brand within Co-op Energy and keep its own tariffs.

Partnership with Octopus Energy

In August 2019, Midcounties Co-operative agreed a partnership with Octopus Energy. Customers of GB Energy and Flow Energy became Octopus customers. The Co-op Energy brand continues, with customer accounts operated by Octopus, while Midcounties retains responsibility for acquiring new customers.

IIRC, I was with Flow at one time but came to Octopus independently … :thinking:

No I don’ t think you 're daft . I know people who joined Octopus via M&S but likewise Octopus isn’t M&S
All my emails come direct from Octopus and I have the Octopus app installed on my iPad .

You aren’t going mad dearheart … The Co-op Energy and Octopus partnership.
Apparently they have an award winning customer service.
I looked it up online.
Hope you get it sorted out.
I’m with British Gas

Crumbs Jazzi mine’s electricity 32.24 and gas 9.92 and thought that was bad enough.

Standing is 27.12 per day for gas and 50.13 for electricity.

So did I … see:

Partnership with Octopus Energy

In August 2019, Midcounties Co-operative agreed a partnership with Octopus Energy. Customers of GB Energy and Flow Energy became Octopus customers. The Co-op Energy brand continues, with customer accounts operated by Octopus, while Midcounties retains responsibility for acquiring new customers.

1 Like