Lord Ahmed: Former Labour peer guilty of child sex offences

Lord Ahmed of Rotherham was convicted by Sheffield Crown Court of a serious sexual assault against a boy and the attempted rape of a young girl in Rotherham when he was a teenager.

The 64-year-old, who appeared under his real name of Nazir Ahmed, had denied the charges.

During trial, prosecutor Tom Little QC told the court Lord Ahmed had attempted to rape the girl in the early 1970s, when the defendant was aged 16 or 17 but she was much younger. The attack on the boy, who was aged under 11 at the time, also happened during the same period.

Lord Ahmed was charged along with his two older brothers, Mohammed Farouq, 71, and Mohammed Tariq, 65, but both were deemed unfit to stand trial. Both had faced charges of indecent assault against the same boy abused by Lord Ahmed. Though the men did not face a criminal trial, jurors concluded that they did commit the alleged acts after hearing evidence in the case.

Judge Mr Justice Lavender will decide later when Lord Ahmed will be sentenced.

Lord Ahmed, who was convicted following a retrial, resigned from the House of Lords in November 2020 after a conduct committee report concluded he had sexually and emotionally exploited a vulnerable woman who sought his help. The report made him the first peer to be recommended for expulsion but he resigned before this could be implemented.

Rosemary Ainslie, head of the Crown Prosecution Service’s special crime division, said:

“By these verdicts the jury has clearly decided that no matter the delay between the offences and the trial, and the defences raised, they could be sure that the accounts of the victims were credible and true. One of these defendants held a position of power, influence and responsibility for some time in the House of Lords but this case clearly illustrates that where there is sufficient evidence, even in challenging cases, the CPS will bring a prosecution, put evidence before a jury and see rightful convictions.”

How dreadful for those children … :frowning_face:

However, for Ahmed, the likelihood now is that he will rot and die in prison … :+1:

2 Likes

So disgusting…there is far too much of this coming to light now. They should just castrate them with immediate effect and leave them on the streets of the town they committed the offences.

Scum of the earth

1 Like

I have nothing good to add. Should be put down like rabid dogs. IMHO

1 Like

I met him once at the Hice of Lards :lol: I was there with a client of mine giving a demo of a newly developed rubber substitute. I shook his hand and, oh dear me, was it slimy and sweaty.