Long term benefits of regular exercise

Post here how you have benefitted from long term exercise.?

How exercise has helped you live a much better life?

Just exercise talk, those who are interested come and tell us all about your exercise journey.?

1 Like

It has improved my mental health and mood.

2 Likes

I’ve never exercised I would find it too boring.
But I do believe in incidental exercise.Always take the stairs,never the lift,daily dog walking,walk to the local shops,never the car.Very thorough with house work ,cleaning and gardening.That sort of thing.Phew!

3 Likes

I’m still working, lots of walking involved in that, its the way the department is set out, been on holiday for a fortnight and daily dog walks have kept me exercised.

3 Likes

Exercise by going to a gym would bore me silly, just couldn’t put myself through that. I found out the hard way that exercise is important. After sitting at computers over the years in my work I weighed more than I should. Then after my usual annual medical check-up I was informed I was pre-diabetic. No way did I want to hear that! Advice was given which I followed. Changing my diet (called ‘lifestyle’ now rather than diet) and going out for a walk of at least half-an-hour every day prevented me from becoming full-blown diabetic. Also I lost 10kg so all in all a good result. Now, thanks mostly to the lockdown and hardly venturing out, weight has been gained once again. Now it’s back to regular walking and a repeat of what I did before, hopefully that is. :grinning:

3 Likes

As a boy I tended not to be that athletic tbh. My mum noticed that and encouraged me and my twin brother to do some sport. Because she’d liked it as a girl she suggested swimming. So we joined that local club. After two years it turned out that we could reasonably swim the four strokes but didn’t get better at a certain point. So there was a push and a pull to leave the training centre and start looking elsewhere. Since there was a tennis club near our home my mother again suggested joining that because she’d always wanted to play it herself. It was one of the best decisions in my life and an eye-opener in many respects. I played in different regional leagues and tournaments but never won one.
At the age of 15 I had realised that a good physical condition would be helpful but that was something that didn’t seem to develop naturally. So I bought myself an expander (there were no health clubs back then in the late 60s, early 70s, were there?) and exercised daily and I also took up running. Within a year my PE teacher noticed improvements and so did I. I could walk on my hands and do a proper handstand and other things which prompted my PE teacher to invite me to a gym team but I declined and stuck to tennis.
Have been jogging ever since I was 15 (no more than 10km and mostly between 3 and 5km) but regularly as clockwork at least once or twice a week until today no matter what the circumstances were or where I was. I often couldn’t think clearly before I’d jogged. Had my best ideas while running. As a retiree I do sports almost every day. Can’t go to the gym because of corona, so I use resistance bands, go cycling, and, above all, do some jogging which refreshes me mentally.

3 Likes

Strengthens bones and muscles.

1 Like