Llangollen Canal - canal Barge 120 up, in the air!

It seems to be a right of passage for narrow boaters Ted, a great experience apparently, but separately what a magnificent piece of Victorian engineering…

It is spectacular, Barry!

One of many stunning attractions in North Wales.

Amazing journey, beautiful scenery.

Hi

There are no locks between Grindley Brook and Llangollen.

Twenty three miles of flat canal.

Harrison Ford spent his honeymoon on that canal and regularly returns.

Did you fish it?

The feed waters are Welsh Streams and there are some huge brown trout in there.

I have seen the aquaduct a few times on Tv and I really don’t think I could cross it on foot, let alone on a boat.

The same goes for the Falkirk wheel. :shock:

A brilliant piece of Victorian engineering. The metal trough across the aqueduct is sealed with boiled sugar and has stood the test of time - wonder who thought of that? :smiley:

Recent repairs carried out used exactly the same technique for authenticity.

It looks only wide enough for one boat at a time - what happens when you want to come back?

I follow a couple of narrowboaters on Youtube, this one is going over the Pontcysyllte canal aqueduct

Hi

easy, you walk back across.

You also have the option of coming back across after the turning circle.

I fish it below in winter

Thank you, Swimmy, the views are spectacular - would love to cross it in a boat.

Hi

As it is you, I will arrange it.

It will not be me, it will be Andy.

Much younger and better looking.:-p

LOL - thank you!:-D:-D

Lovely to see from a distance :slight_smile: not sure I would want to cross it myself…

Not sure I could walk across on the tow path - especially if it was windy - but I would be fine on narrow boat.:smiley:

My late husband and I went for a short holiday on the Llangollen canal. He nearly had a fit when he saw the aquaduct (hated heights). So he steered the boat across - eyes fixed on the far horizon - while I took dozens of photos over the side! Talked to a lady when we were moored just before we returned the boat, who cycled across it (on the footpath) every day for work. On one memorable occasion she was blown off her bike into the canal. She lifted the bike out and then discovered that the aquaduct was just too deep for her to get out so she had to wade to the end and climb out where the bank was soft. What an experience!

Sounds like she was lucky to be blown into the canal and not over the side. Bet the experience was very frightening.

Wow! I am suprised she survived that. How scary. It just goes to show that my fear of heights is not unjustified. :shock:

My Daughtered wondered how many people fell off the top.

Looking it up, on he mobile, as usual, she found that there are quite a lot.

Not all are accidental, some are because of stupid pranks.

Apparently one was a young lad who climbed to the other side of the rail, with his camera, as a prank. The rail broke and down he went. A payout was denied.

:cry:

I just can’t imagine it. :shock: