Liz Truss - Fracking in Lancashire - MPs allege bullying during chaotic fracking vote

Liz Truss must publish a recently completed review on fracking in the UK, green campaigners have urged, amid expectations the new prime minister will lift the moratorium on shale gas drilling immediately.

The Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy has been sitting on a report delivered in early July by the British Geological Survey into the possible effects of fracking in the UK, including the danger of Earth tremors.

Truss spoke in favour of fracking during her campaign for the Tory leadership, and has also advocated expanding oil and gas production in the North Sea. It is thought she will announce an immediate end to the ban on fracking that was imposed in 2019 as part of her energy strategy on Thursday. She has previously said that fracking should only take place where there was the support of the local community.

Truss has already been warned this week by the government’s independent advisers on the climate, and on infrastructure, that increasing gas production from fracking will not bring down energy bills. On Wednesday, the former Conservative environment secretary John Gummer and Sir John Armitt, who chair the Committee on Climate Change and the National Infrastructure Commission respectively, took the unprecedented step of jointly writing to Truss warning that ramping up gas production would not solve the problem. They wrote:

“The UK cannot address this crisis solely by increasing its production of natural gas. Greater domestic production of fossil fuels may improve energy security, particularly this winter. But our gas reserves – offshore or from shale – are too small to impact meaningfully the prices faced by UK consumers.”

The BGS said its report had been delivered to the government two months ago. A spokesperson said: “BEIS commissioned BGS to produce a report based on a desk-based study to address six questions related to recent scientific research on the hazard and risk from induced seismicity during hydraulic fracturing of shale rocks. The report was submitted to BEIS on the 5 July.”

Fracking was first attempted in the UK more than a decade ago, but was plagued by a series of problems, including Earth tremors at its site in Lancashire. No gas has ever been commercially produced from fracking in the UK despite numerous attempts. In 2019 the government stepped in with an effective moratorium on fracking, ruling that only if fracking could be proven not to cause Earth tremors could it go ahead.

Fracking, for some odd reason, has remained a Tory pipe-dream, despite massive local and extensive national opposition to the process. Since 2011, the Tories have spent at least £32.7m supporting fracking and it has cost local police forces £12m to support the government’s policy.

A 2019 report by the National Audit Office (NAO) found no evidence that prices would be lowered, uncertainty as to whether it could viably produce gas in meaningful quantities, no plan for clean-up if a fracking firm were to go bust, serial breeches of agreed limits on earth tremors, strains on local authorities in fracking areas, and plummeting public support.

1 Like

Hi

Times change and needs must so they say.

Prices in 2019 where very different to where they are now.

We need energy security energy prices are bleeding us dry.

My view is that they can frack but at agreed prices, they are not to be allowed to sell wholesale and make obscene profits.

1 Like

But not if extracting this gas causes geological problems, damages buildings and other infrastructure etc which may well cost more to repair (if indeed all of it is repairable) than any financial gain.

5 Likes

Thats what worries me ,the earth tremors they cause ,thats why they stopped the last lot , and they were going to Frack close to me so im concerned if it starts again .

4 Likes

Well I’m not going to invest in buying a flat at the top of Blackpool Tower :wink:

Haven’t we got any old volcanos we can make active with a few carefully placed nuclear bombs? Just think of the heat we could use to warm houses and generate steam to run electric generators.

2 Likes

She can say what she likes, but given the force of the people against it last time, I doubt she will have much success. Fracking is proven to be destructive and dangerous. Once people’s houses and business start collapsing, and insurance companies refuse to cover areas of fracking, they will soon change their mind about it being a good idea!

2 Likes

What a surprise… I jest

Truss not content with poisoning the air we breathe, Johnson and .truss both took private jets to balmoral.
It’s expected she will consider poisoning the very water we drink .
Fracking uses large amounts of water, which can become contaminated releasing cancer causing chemicals into the groundwater springs and streams without rigourous safety standards….accidents do and can happen .
Fracking is also associated with leaking of tons of greenhouse gas that can cause health and respiratory issues.

In my humble opinion this is more worrying than who pays for the possible energy price cap freeze

6 Likes

I don’t think any fracking sites will be anywhere near any of the mp,s homes, so they won’t care what damage it does to others,

4 Likes

Before Truss does any reversing on fracking, she needs to publish the Geological Survey they’ve been keeping under wraps.
If she refuses to do that, I will think it contains something the Gobernment want to hide from the people they are supposed to be “working for”

This Tory Government have lost enough trust already with all their lies, so why would we trust them over fracking if they won’t even let us see what the experts have said about it?

3 Likes

It appears obvious that the PM is already disregarding sound advice from experts, who know a great deal more than she does, and disregarding profound public opinion. Along with a nod and a wink to the wealthy conservative supporters, she is already showing her true colours.

2 Likes

Breaking:

Ban on fracking lifted by the government
The ban on fracking, a technique for recovering gas and oil from shale rock, will be lifted by the government.

This will allow developers to seek planning permission where there is local support, Truss says.

Does “local support” mean from “the local people” or from “the local council”?

As we found out during our local fracking protests - the council agreed to fracking despite a huge groundswell of opposition from the local population.
It was only the Government’s interventions that put a stop to it going ahead.

•• … goes up to the attic to dust off the protest placards … ••

2 Likes

1 Like

I’ll be fetching my placards, whistle, and loudspeaker for this, you can be sure of that! :rage:

2 Likes

Last time they tried it, “the local people” objected but the “local council” ignored them.

2 Likes

They banned it here in Scotland…I hope that stays and Truss doesn’t try to wield her mighty new sword and overturn it.

3 Likes

Well done, Scotland … :clap:

2 Likes

We’ll ask you again after the winter…

2 Likes

Sure thing - we can have a chat about it when we are winching you up from the great caverns upon which your homes once stood and sending down sniffer dogs!

1 Like

2 Likes