Liz Truss said British workers needed 'more graft' and lacked skill of foreign rivals, leaked audio reveals

The Tory leadership frontrunner was chief secretary to the Treasury when the conversation with officials was recorded five years ago.

In the clip, leaked to The Guardian, Ms Truss said those outside London were less likely to be hard workers. She said British workers as a whole also lacked the “skill and application” of foreign rivals, specifically those in China. She also referenced a book she co-authored in 2012, Britannia Unchained, saying a passage from it was “mischaracterised”.

The passage said British workers were among the “worst idlers in the world”, but last month she claimed to have not written that chapter and blamed fellow author and current deputy prime minister Dominic Raab.

Labour’s shadow work and pensions secretary, Jonathan Ashworth, said Ms Truss’ comments were “grossly offensive”.

“Earlier this month, Liz Truss suggested workers outside London should have their pay cut,” he said. Now it’s revealed she has been saying people outside London don’t have the right culture or attitude. With wages shrinking thanks to Tory failure to bring inflation under control and years of lacklustre growth, it’s grossly offensive for Liz Truss to effectively brand British workers lazy. I would have hoped she had moved on from the days of her ‘Britannia Unchained’ fiasco, but it seems that is the blueprint for her prospective government."

In Truss’s case, we can expect the leopard to have changed its’ spots overnight … :man_shrugging:

Well perhaps if she were able to fund apprenticeships and technical trade courses, she would find that many workers would jump at the chance to “graft

1 Like

I had no idea there are sufficient wards in London to achieve a majority in Parliament.

This woman talks like a fool .

1 Like

Hi

So refreshing to have such a likeable and intelligent person as a possible Prime Minister.

Keep digging Liz, at this rate you’ll soon be in Australia!

@Omah , Maybe offensive Omah ?
But probably true ?
Unless office work has become the product then the british work force
can he described as non productive !
How can such an economy ever be productive in the true sense of
productivity ??
I await the howls of protest from button pushers ??
:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

1 Like

Hasn’t this person got advisors guiding what she should say? Probably all overworked. She does like to keep putting her foot in it. And she, unlike those (idle British workers) gets a fair old wage. May the gods of election heaven protect us all.

1 Like

With a 2019 gross domestic product (GDP) of $2.83 trillion, the United Kingdom has the sixth-largest economy in the world.
According to the U.K. Office for National Statistics (ONS), the services sector is the largest sector in the U.K., accounting for more than three-quarters of the GDP. The service industry in the U.K. comprises many industries, including finance and business services, consumer-focused industries, such as retail, food and beverage, and entertainment. Manufacturing and production contribute less than 21% of the GDP, and agriculture contributes about 0.60%.

As we know, Ms Truss has a less than adequate grasp of economics (or, in fact, anything).

@Omah As l thought, We are a nation of shopkeepers and insurance
salesmen, the stuff we sell is made elsewhere, we just add 10% to what
we paid for it,our economy is based on what we spend, not what we earn !!
Because it is a large economy does not mean it is a healthy economy ?
especially if our spending is fed by credit,( which it is)
For instance, Rishi Sunak recently borrowed £40 billion to put into the
“Economy” borrowed at•1%, this % has now increased to2% and looks set to
increase further to supposedly fight inflation ?
Who benefits from this increase in interest?
And will it fight inflation?
:thinking::thinking::thinking:

2 Likes

Liz Truss said this 5 years ago. However, as Omah says (and I agree) it is unlikely that the leopard will have changed it’s spots. Even Boris would be better to stay than her becoming PM, as I believe she will drag this country further into the mire. Unfortunately she does not engage brain before opening gob and that is a dangerous thing both in this country and abroad.

1 Like

That’s far too big a question for me to answer. If I tried then I’d only be “doing a Truss” … :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Liz Truss is just dreadful. Surely, those voting for her must be aware of what the public think of her?

There she is prancing around in her copycat Maggie Thatcher clothing and that weak mealy mouth of hers uttering the most bizarre stuff.

I think it’s odd that there are so many in the Conservative Party backing her. It’s quite worrying really.

Honestly…God Help Us

4 Likes

God help us indeed!

I’m not a political by nature but if the opposition can’t get their arse into gear and show some presence and guts then it’s not very encouraging.

2 Likes

The opposition don’t have to do anything. Truss is doing it for them. “Less is more” is their best policy.

1 Like