Liz Truss has not ruled out increasing the retirement age to help balance the nation's books

Quite … :+1:

1 Like

And that’s partly because of Brexit and that we won’t be protected by EU law on workers rights and human rights an more.

I always knew the Tories would do this if we came out and lost that protection

They must be rubbing their hands together with glee

2 Likes

It worries Me a lot,My Son is 61,has worked hard all of His
Life since leaving School/College…been made redundant twice…now he has been diagnosed with osteo arthritas in His knees (same as His Mum,Me)…he’s been a bit of a mountain climber/hill walker…but now he;s worried if he’ll make it to keep working until Pension age…I was lucky in being able to stop work at age 61 and claim My State pension…God help Those like Him who may not make it.

2 Likes

Gah! OsteroArthritis is so painful, May, I’m sorry he’s going through that…its terrible that the “rug” is being pulled out from under our feet like this, on the whims of an insane govt who think they know better and couldn’t care less if you do or don’t. They say it’s “around” 65 or so, but dependent on age, gender, etc. I was told officially that I had about 15 years yet because I had to make up time I missed through illness, and that was pre-covid, so goodness knows what the situation will be.

1 Like

God knows Pixie…He hasn’t told anyone he has OA,and will keep on keepin’ on…He;s a stubborn big bugger (wonder who He takes that from ) :grin:
PS…You’ll get there Kiddo…I have faith in You making it all the way. :wink:

2 Likes

It feels like we are being taken back to Victorian times. :back::rage:

4 Likes

Do you think other EU countries will follow suit? A lot of them let their people retire a lot younger at the moment

I am retiring next March, I’ll be 66 and I think it’s time.

The youngsters and my trainees at work have been snapping at my heels for a while now and it’s only experience and willingness to adapt to new technology and keep learning new ways that keeps me ahead of them. There’s no doubt I’m slowing down and a couple more years and they’d outstrip me

And that’s how it should be. Young people need the opportunities and they are faster and more adaptable so they bring more to a job

Keeping old people who are slower and less adaptable in the work place, with deteriorating health, doesn’t help keep our country thriving and innovative

And we’ve usually risen to higher positions so you have a situation where old, frail people who can’t keep up are blocking the top jobs for younger people

Let the old ‘uns retire and enjoy it, I say and give the youngsters their chance :rofl:

(But I still think state pension should be means tested! :joy:)

2 Likes

:wink: “Other EU countries” than which one? Our retirement age is 67 already.

1 Like

You have to be strong, not to get “Work Sick” as opposed to sick of working. :grinning:

1 Like

Work to live, not live to work :+1:

2 Likes

We’re human beings, not human doings.

On your deathbed, your not going to lie there thinking “I wish I’d spent more time at the office”.

I started working at 1979 and had a loose idea (who thinks of retirement at 16) to retire at 60 that’s changed obviously, and I agree with the levelling up between men and women to 65 but its as has been said who want to work into their 70’s My state pension is 67 2030

Dex, If you work and are active mentally and physically, then you stop, retire and slob about, the work would have probably deferred the Deathbed a bit longer. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

That’s ok for non physical work my husband is struggling to get to retirement age in his manual job, His employer is doing their best to get him out saying he’s unfit to carry the loads upstairs and he’s got another 4 years to struggle on.

ttps://www.moneyhelper.org.uk/en/pensions-and-retirement/pension-problems/problems-with-a-decision-about-ill-health-retirement

This may be helpful.

Can’t someone lower Truss’s retirement age? Off to the glue factory for her, methinks.

If the age limit goes up again, I’ll never be officially a pensioner. :grinning:

1 Like

That might have been your destiny. :smiley:

That is how we viewed the situation and had saved enough to enjoy early retirement.

All these hand outs are playing havoc with my spreadsheet.

1 Like