Liver and Onions as a meal. Are you a fan? Love or hate it?

My parents were advocates of it. My sister too. I detested it.

1 Like

I think there are often many reasons for liking or disliking food not always taste. It could be what food looks like or how you first were introduced to a food. Like I have never tried frogs legs or snails yet others love them. Some cultures don’t eat meat or fish. Sometimes food is associated with childhood memories good or bad. My parents barely talked and my sisters and brother avoided meal times so only I got to know my parents cooking. So as a young growing lad I ate pretty much anything put in front of me. Looking back I think Liver was dare I say it poor peoples meat putting onions and bacon in probably to hide the smell and help the rather bland taste. I admit I could never face tripe let alone eat it. “nowt so queer as folk” except food :smile:

3 Likes

I have to confess that at best I’d be reluctant. I vaguely remember having liver during my first few days at primary school at the tender age of five and not liking it. I don’t think I’ve tried it since.

Having said that maybe I should check out some recipes and give it another go, I feel some Googleing coming on👍

What’s for dessert by the way? :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Liver and onions are a classic favorite of mine, always has been. I prefer thin slices of calf’s liver, with the sauteed onions in butter. It takes only a few minutes each side to fry, to deliver a tender, scrumptious meal.
Both of my children liked it, and to this day it’s my son’s favorite meal, along with the mashed potatoes and gravy. Yum!

2 Likes

The British were always a nation of offal eaters, I love liver, kidney, lights, faggots, haggis etc.

1 Like

I’d say it’s a meal that’s alright.

1 Like

I definitely dislike liver.
I think offal is awful.
On the rare occasions I was forced to eat it as a child, it rarely made it as far as my stomach! :face_vomiting:
I think meat tastes horrible but offal is particularly rank.

I do like onions - in moderation - and onion gravy is a good alternative to meat-based gravy.

2 Likes

I love liver and onion with mash and the onions all caramelized. I soak the liver in milk first (no idea why). But it doesn’t agree with me, too much vitamin A I think.

2 Likes

My mother and I shared a love of liver and onions when I was young. We’d go to a take out restaurant that served it whenever we wanted to eat that. The rest of the family could eat something else. I haven’t eaten it in decades and I probably won’t because I haven’t eaten meat in decades. But it brings back nice memories.

1 Like

Liver and Onions are great, so are Sprouts but, on the same plate, Yuk :face_vomiting:

1 Like

Hate Liver but love Onions. We get through a lot of them in cooked meals or raw in a cheese or meat sandwich.

2 Likes

A slice of Angel Food Cake of course :wink:

1 Like

Enjoyed everyone’s replies, both the liver haters and liver lovers :smile:

2 Likes

I haven’t had liver for many years. Although three good sausages with mashed potato and dark caramelised onion gravy is a favourite.

2 Likes

My local club does a very good gourmet sausages and mash with onions. They try to spoil it with veggies but I just tell them to forget those disgusting vegies.

1 Like

Bangers and mash is a sound favourite for me. As for liver and onions, :face_vomiting:

1 Like

:+1: yes, I’m a fan

1 Like

I love liver and onions - with mashed potato, Urtunately nobody else likes it so I rarely do it.

1 Like

It’s liver dinner for tomorrow night, with just a couple different side
dishes which will be Asparagus and stir fry :wink:

1 Like

It’s time for a homemade Liver and Onions Dinner :hugs: