Legal action launched over Met Police’s ‘failure to adequately investigate’ Boris Johnson over Partygate

Whose tail are you chasing? I thought you were looking for fun?

I don’t know, I thought it was just the bbc with bee in bonnet. And you, of course.

Why not just sack Boris for lying to the House? And stop wasting police time.

2 Likes

Do calm down Omah, your touchiness is getting boring.

I was answering Gummy, is that not allowed? And I was talking about the politicians, journalists and lawyers actually, because all they do is chase each others tails to make even more scenes.

An apology might show your more pleasant side?

Hadn’t you noticed that all the media in the UK are interested in the “BJ Partygate” disgrace … :017:

I couldn’t help but notice the BBC’s interest, that’s all the media I do, five minutes a day. I also get news stories from OFC and you and definitely unhealthy interest there.

1 Like

Real news no longer counts .

1 Like

You first … :mrgreen:

You may have noticed, then, that I vary my sources - I have even been known to use Tory rags and, at one time, paid for the “privilege” … :grinning:

Best not hold your breath waiting then, Omah.

I will leave you to your unhealthy daily misery. :wave:

Thank you … :wave:

The track record of fox bothering Jolyon Maugham is laughable.

This will be no different.

He should be sacked for that, and breaking the law, but there’s no mechanism for doing it unless his party turn against him.

Which they won’t, for self-serving political reasons

Which makes them, the people defending Johnson, and those indulging in whataboutery about Starmer to muddy the water as much to be despised as Johnson

And the only person wasting police time is Johnson himself, because he doesn’t have the integrity or decency to resign for what he did or the morals to feel any shame

1 Like

I’m delighted that legal action is to be taken

That Johnson didn’t get more fines when he was clearly guilty stinks of corruption and chumocracy

1 Like

I remember watching his elevation to party leader some years back on tv and thinking - “is that the best that the tories can ever do - what a disaster” - it was obvious then he would keep leading them down rabbit holes and he is still doing it cos he’s a bit of a wabbit himself!

1 Like

Sir Stephen House said the decisions made by officers investigating lockdown parties at No 10 were correct.

On Thursday, appearing in front of the London Assembly’s Police and Crime Committee, the Met Police’s acting commissioner was asked about how the force handled the investigation and decided who should be fined. One committee member, Labour’s Unmesh Desai, asked why the prime minister had only received one fine “when there was clear evidence suggesting he had breached the law quite a few times”.

In reply, Sir Stephen said: “I don’t believe there is clear evidence that the prime minister breached many other times. I’m not particularly concerned about what the prime minister thinks, I do my job without fear or favour,” Sir Stephen said, who is in post until a replacement is found for former boss Dame Cressida Dick.

He said one challenge officers faced was working out which gatherings were work-related, and which ones were not. “I think it’s impossible to expect an officer, walking through a room with a lot of people in it, to work out whether or not these people are breaching coronavirus regulations when it’s taken a team of experienced detectives many many weeks to do the same thing,” Sir Stephen said.

Setting out how the Met Police carried out its investigation, Sir Stephen said officers examined “every case”, looking at “hundreds of documents, including emails, electronic door logs, diary entries, witness statements, photographs, CCTV images, and we sent questionnaires to people who we felt may have breached legislation”. Officers looked at “each individual’s activity” at each event, how long it lasted and the amount of time an attendee spent there, Sir Stephen said.

As part of its investigation, the Met Police sent out questionnaires to suspected Covid rule-breakers but there were no interviews under caution. Sir Stephen said said the “vast majority” of people returned their questionnaires, but did not say who did not and denied it had hampered the force’s investigation of them.

IMO, it appears that the “investigation” was incompetent and shoddy at best and subservient to the PM’s interests at worst … :roll_eyes:

BJ is and has always been a notorious and well-documented rule-breaker and liar - only a fool or a toady would be blind to the evidence … :man_shrugging:

Oh come on Omah, you never broke lockdown rules? PAH we all did didn’t we?

I am not your “we” … :018:

I have to say that I didn’t break the lockdown rules. It was horrible if I’m honest, but there was no way I would have put myself (and others) at risk. Even now I still wear a mask :woman_shrugging:

we pay lots of monies to keep the police forces going and protecting here and abroad in other countries and what do they do in usa stand out a school and let kids get killed - these officers need charging with serious dereliction of duty and sacking!

Update:

Anger over the Partygate scandal has been reignited after Scotland Yard confirmed that it did not send questionnaires to Boris Johnson before deciding against fining him for attending two Downing Street lockdown gatherings.

Fines were issued to other attenders at the gatherings in 2020, including one at No 10 on 13 November, where the prime minister gave a leaving speech for his departing director of communications, Lee Cain, and another in the Cabinet Office on 17 December.

Downing Street has previously briefed that Johnson did not receive police questionnaires relating to some lockdown events. But the revelation on Monday is thought to be the first time the Metropolitan police has admitted this, under details released as part of a legal challenge.

The Good Law Project (GLP), a non-profit campaign group that has brought a judicial review over accusations that the Met failed to fully investigate Johnson’s presence at parties, said: “The Met’s actions have raised grave concerns about the deferential way in which they are policing those in power.

“We don’t think the Met’s response is consistent with their legal duty of candour. And we certainly don’t think it’s consistent with what the Met has elsewhere conceded is their public duty to maintain public confidence in policing.”

The group is taking action in concert with Brian Paddick, the Liberal Democrat peer and former senior police officer.

In a document summarising the Met’s response to the challenge, released by the GLP, the force said it could confirm no questionnaire was sent to Johnson for the two 2020 gatherings. It confirmed it sent one in relation to a gathering held on 14 January 2021.

Johnson received a single £50 fine in April for breaking Covid laws at a birthday party thrown for him in June 2020.

In its response to the GLP, Scotland Yard said investigating officers had examined hundreds of documents including emails, diary entries, witness statements and CCTV images.

Questionnaires were a useful part of the investigation, but if answers were clear from other evidence, “there was little to be gained” from sending one to a particular person simply for them to confirm what was already known, and there was no duty to send one, it was said.

The Met said Operation Hillman, the probe into Partygate, had concluded and that it would not comment on the steps taken in the course of the investigation.

There was an angry reaction from former officials embroiled in the police inquiry, included one who pointed out that Rishi Sunak received a fixed-penalty notice for his presence at the end of Johnson’s birthday party, which the then chancellor was said to have wandered into as he prepared for another meeting.

Jo Maugham, director of the GLP, said: “Johnson isn’t going to be prime minister for much longer. But, for me, this continues to be about what it was always about: trust in policing and the rule of law. Seventy-two per cent of voters think there is one law for the rich and another for the poor. Why won’t the Met address that perception? Why won’t they just say what happened?”

No 10 declined to comment, referring queries to Scotland Yard.

The truth will out … but not from BJ - it has to be dragged out from his “partners in crime” … :roll_eyes: