Knighthoods, What do You Think About These Kind of Awards?

And, of course, it’s very useful to prevent your socks falling down.

2 Likes

I have more respect for the people who are offered them and turn them down.

3 Likes

I don’t mind some of them as such and view them as something to put in a drawer or on the shelf a bit like a medal from coming top 3 in the local church fete egg and spoon race. self aggrandizement is a big no no though.

2 Likes

It seems that the real Heroes, often, don’t want a fuss, they want to be treated the same as everyone else.

But some (lesser people) expect to see it every time they get mentioned!

Titles are worrying, I used to think that Doctors always put the Word “Doctor”, next to their name, so that we could recognise them, and ask for help, if we were in trouble.

I’ve changed my mind, recently!

1 Like

Most Doctors aren’t Doctors anyway. They’re MBChB (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery).
The same initial qualification over the pond, however, is MD (Doctor of Medicine), but in this country MD is a postgraduate doctorate.

I’m dunno about honours, sort of in two minds :face_with_monocle:

On one hand I agree they are a farce, the way they decide who gets one seems to blatantly unfair and biased.

The way both the major parties give them to their own party members is ridiculous and corrupt.

And even worse is the way party leaders dish them out to people who have funded or supported them politically. That’s corrupt and not what they’re for

On the other hand there’s something incredibly British about the honours tradition and I’d be sorry to see them go

And sometimes the delight of the people who deservedly get one is a joy to see. I like the idea of us as a nation acknowledging people who’ve done good, it’s a shame to get rid of all quirkiness

1 Like

Not what you know; who you know!

2 Likes

Yeah, it does seem like that for a lot of them :rage:

I feel they use dishing them out for their own ends and to favour their cronies but throw out a few genuine ones that will be popular to muddy the water as to what they’re really up to and to keep us happy

But I still like the idea of if honours and it’s good to see how thrilled some of the genuine people who receive them are

1 Like

Hi

Unnecessary in this day .`

I don’t have a problem with national awards for people who really deserve them, i.e. not for long service in a job, not for bunging a lot of cash to the Tory Party, not for keeping one’s mouth shut so as not to embarrass the PM and so on.
But the awards need revamping. Most mention the British Empire, which does not exist anymore so what does the award really mean. It’s almost an insult to the recipient.
Plus there is a class aspect to the awards. An award should be an award, there should not be a hierarchy of deservingness, no opportunity for something like " I am more deserving than you because I got an OBE"
I would like one award and a number of categories with each one supported by a catalogue of achievements, something more than walking up and down your drive a lot to raise a lot of money for your descendants to maladminister.

1 Like

I think the “Honours system” is anachronistic and scrapping it or having a complete overhaul is long overdue - I have lost count of the number of times that Select Committees have recommended overhauling the honours system - despite these many reviews, the recommendations seem to be largely ignored.

Titles mean nothing to me - I can think of some nasty bar stewards who have been given baronetcies in return for “scratching the right backs” and a few other decent folk who have been given one for going the extra mile in the service to their country or community.
Unfortunately, the high number of “undeserving” awards rather cheapens the value of it for everyone else - and the titles themselves are very outdated.

If we must have an awards system, let’s forget the “Sirs” and “Ladies” and all the old “Orders of the British Empire” and stick with “Orders for Excellent Service”

I recall a Commons Select Committee about 20 years ago recommending we scrap a lot of the old “Honours” titles and changing the names of CBE, MBE and OBE to remove the reference to the Empire
e.g. “Order of the British Empire” to become “Order of British Excellence”

2 Likes

I’m not a fan of them…like most things, its gone a bit rogue and would prefer it if they just stuck with ordinary people who do remarkable things for their community.

In other words…people who deserve them.

1 Like

As long as David Beckham doesn’t get one, l don’t care who else gets one!!

4 Likes

That reminds me of how he begged and pleaded for one, and sulked like a child when it didn’t happen! :joy:

3 Likes

I wish whoever gets a medal or a knighthood all the best,…:slightly_smiling_face:

Pixie, Weren’t his emails to his PR man leaked, showing all the awful things he said about not getting a knighthood?

3 Likes

Yes! Gosh that made me laugh so much! Dummy & pram came to mind :joy:

3 Likes

I can imagine it causing a lot of people a dilemma. It’s not a problem I’m likely to have, but if you have to communicate with someone with a knighthood, and having to address them as “Sir” would stick in your throat, yet you don’t want to offend them by refusing to do so, you are going to find yourself in an awkward position. :017: :102:

2 Likes

I wouldn’t address anyone as “Sir” really…I would wait and see if they corrected me, and then I would roll my eyes in disdain saying “Oh one of those “do you know who I am” people, eh?” :joy:

2 Likes

Pathetic.

2 Likes