Justice Dept. investigating Trump’s actions - Update - Judge sets 20 May 2024 trial date for classified documents case

The Justice Dept. is investigating Donald Trump’s conversations and actions regarding the attempt to overturn the results of the 2020 election. This probe is separate from the inquiry into the Jan. 6 riots.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/07/26/trump-justice-investigation-january-6/

Trump’s lawyers are quietly preparing for a criminal case… . just in case.

1 Like

Oooerr! I wonder how that will pan out :thinking:

1 Like

In their preparations, Trump’s team has discussed strategies that involve shifting blame from Trump to his advisers for the efforts to overturn the election, per the three sources, reflecting a broader push to find a fall guy — or fall guys.

Typically Trump … :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Well if he manages to find “fall guys”, I hope they are brave enough to stand up and refute it.

Anyway, if it ever happened and even if it didn’t,it wasn’t his fault.

1 Like

US Justice Dept searched Mar-a-Lago, one of Trump’s residences.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/08/politics/mar-a-lago-search-warrant-fbi-donald-trump/index.html

2 Likes

This is fascinating. I believe he would have taken classified documents based on his reluctance to believe in the eelection results, and also his overal demeanour during his presidency.

Also…why are some people still referring to him as the president?

“…Christina Bobb, Trump’s attorney, said the FBI seized documents. “President Trump and his legal team have been cooperative with FBI and DOJ officials every step of the way. The FBI did conduct an unannounced raid and seized paper,” Bobb said…”

1 Like

That’s a quote from Trump’s attorney. She has to say that or be fired. She’s kowtowing to him.

From the article:

2 Likes

Yes, there has been quite a lot of kowtowing towards Trump…I recall the female medical officer at one of his briefings rolling her eyes at something he said about dealing with the virus and then outwardly agreeng with him. I was all :astonished:

2 Likes

The wheels of justice turn slowly, but grind exceedingly fine … :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

That was a bit different. She wanted to quit and would have, but if she did, the information about the pandemic would not have gotten out to the public because she was one of the experts on it. She knew that, so she had to bite her tongue or let the public go uninformed. A lot of the White House staff were in a similar position.

1 Like

Ahh ok, I didn’t know that :+1:

1 Like

I can’t help thinking that if there was any evidence of Trump breaking the law, he and his cronies would have got rid of the evidence by now, as well as setting up a few “fall guys” to take the Rap for anything.

I hope the wheels of Justice really do grind exceedingly small and manage to get Trump for at at least one of the many things he has done to damage the USA, if only to stop him inflicting more damage.

If only they can find something in his removal of those classified documents that contravenes Section 18 of the US Code 2071, it could maybe stop him running for office again - although he is such a slippery and unprincipled individual, I reckon he will be able to bluster or bribe his way out of most things.

18 US Code 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally state…

(a) Whoever willfully and unlawfully conceals, removes, mutilates, obliterates, or destroys, or attempts to do so, or, with intent to do so takes and carries away any record, proceeding, map, book, paper, document, or other thing, filed or deposited with any clerk or officer of any court of the United States, or in any public office, or with any judicial or public officer of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

(b) Whoever, having the custody of any such record, proceeding, map, book, document, paper, or other thing, willfully and unlawfully conceals, removes, mutilates, obliterates, falsifies, or destroys the same, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both; and shall forfeit his office and be disqualified from holding any office under the United States.
As used in this subsection, the term “office” does not include the office held by any person as a retired officer of the Armed Forces of the United States.

1 Like

Since there are a number of investigations relating to Trump, any evidence in plain view in the Mar-a-Lago search is fair game for any of them.

1 Like

People are saying that while the trial is going on, Trump could run for President again. Then this raid could give him the publicity he needs to win.

He got elected the first time being the underdog and now he might be seen as the martyr.

Yes, sadly his ardent supporters seem to be convinced already that Trump is a hero and that all the legal investigations are designed to bring him down because the opposition is afraid of how brilliant Trump is - he is the only one who can save them from all these deep state conspiracies … blah blah blah - and he seems to be raking in millions of dollars to that Save America fund of his.
It all sounds very dodgy to me - it reminds me of one of these pseudo-religious cults where the Leader brainwashes his followers to adore only him and to distrust everyone but him and convinces them it is in their best interests to give him lots of money to help him keep them safe.
It amazes me that so many folk fall for it and hand over their money. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I’m not easily shocked, but this surprised me. Nuclear documents?! :104:

2 Likes

If Trump’s had 'em then the Russkies have got 'em now … :scream:.

Are nuclear codes changed all the time though? So nuclear documents containing information that Trump might have, will be outdated by now, surely?

1 Like