Jeremy Hunt signals state pensions triple lock could be scrapped

Re read all my comments…I have little faith like most people in Truss and her cohorts
After the chancellors comments yesterday it’s impossible to take anything said by this government for granted.

Re read my comments.

Overview of the UK population: January 2021

An overview of the UK population in 2019 (before the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic): how it has changed, why it has changed and how it is projected to change in the future.

The population aged 65 years and over is growing faster than other age groups

The UK’s age structure is mainly determined by trends in fertility and mortality. Generally, both fertility and mortality rates have been declining in the UK. With fewer births and later deaths the overall age structure has become gradually older.

According to the principal population projection, the population share of later-life age groups is set to increase further in future years. By 2041, the 1960s baby boomers will have aged into their 70s and 80s, and by 2069 there are projected to be an additional 7.5 million people aged 65 years and over in the UK, compared with 2019 figures. This would take the UK’s 65 years and over age group to 19.8 million people, accounting for 26.2% of the projected population.

1 Like

If you are going to look at demographics then surely UK Population by age would be a better place to start?

This clearly shows the “stub” of the baby boomers now in their 70s and how their numbers have been decimated by time and age. Clearly pollies are going to have to rethink where they distribute their largesse, the age of the baby boomer is sadly coming to an end.

The median age of the UK population has been relatively static at about 40 years for nearly a decade and while it is increasing the rate of increase is tiny compared to past decades.

Source?

Projection?

ONS/Statistica

Link?

Oh for gods sake, google it, or download the excel file from the ONS and make your own graph. Do you need spoon feeding? I’ve already told you where it came from.

Your “evidence” and “assumptions” fail to disprove the ONS extracts and projections, which I presented.

According to the principal population projection, the population share of later-life age groups is set to increase further in future years. By 2041, the 1960s baby boomers will have aged into their 70s and 80s, and by 2069 there are projected to be an additional 7.5 million people aged 65 years and over in the UK, compared with 2019 figures. This would take the UK’s 65 years and over age group to 19.8 million people, accounting for 26.2% of the projected population.

This is a forum not the United Nations, grow up. The graph I showed came from the ONS and I gave my interpretation of it, I don’t care whether you agree with it or not, it’s my opinion not just a copy and paste of someone else’s web site

But pensions aren’t just about the so-called baby boomer generation, …the Silent & X generation all have an interest.

The Xgeneration are approaching pension age often as Omah has stated without a adequate pension provision in place.
Indeed many of the 60s/70s generation have parents in receipt of a state pension. A double reason to cast their votes wisely.

2 Likes

Well, yesterday Liz said we are getting it …

She may of course say the complete opposite today…

If she is still PM.

Oh dear, oh dear - as the King said…

1 Like