Jennette McCurdy's new book "I'm Glad My Mom Died"

Just saw this video. It’s an interview with Jennette McCurdy about her new book, “I’m Glad My Mom Died”. She was a child celebrity who claims she was abused by her mother and the system when she was acting. She co-starred with Ariana Grande in one TV show.

I had not heard of her before I saw that interview. Looking at her wiki, she’s done a lot of stuff.

I saw a review of her book that made it sound intriguing.

https://reddit.com/r/books/comments/wlrpr6/currently_reading_jennette_mccurdys_memoir_im/

I looked up the book at my online library. It has a 6 month wait. I might put a hold on it. I’m not interested enough to buy it.

I suppose she hopes it will make her loads of money.

1 Like

Why.?

2 Likes

Maybe but I don’t think she needs it. In the video, it says that she turned down $300,000 from the studio to keep silent about some things that happened to her while she was acting including someone acting inappropriately towards her.

Well i wont be buying it thats for sure.
Herr mother isnt around to agree or disagree with what she has written,so who really knows if you are reading the true facts.
Or she is making money on bullshit.

1 Like

Why? I tend to be suspicious of folks who produce these sort of books exposing others (particularly those who are dead). IMO I think this girl is very lucky to have succeeded with what appears to be very little talent. For some reason I am reminded of Meghan Markle - me me me all the time and acting the victim at any opportuity. Sorry - that’s my feeling about this girl/woman.

Hey, don’t be apologising for having an opinion! I haven’t read the book, but have looked at the synopsis from Goodreads, and looked into the story a bit…and in my mind, it’s more of a therapeutic journey for herself.

Many books of this theme (A Child Called It, Tory Hayden books etc) are helpful to get the stories out there, because it might be helpful to others, helpful to themselves, and yeah…make some money, why not.

I don’t think its a bad thing really in terms of showing how the negative behaviour of others can impact someones life.

Well, for sure it’s her point of view. And the title is provocative to get attention. But it’s not like she hated her mom when her mom was alive, so nothing for her mom to defend. She was codependent on her mom because her mom directed her every move. It sounds like the story is more about her journey of getting out of the field of entertainment and how children actors are treated.

It was only after her mom died did she realize how abusive the whole situation was.

Exactly my take as well.

Ahhh thank you butterscotch and PixieK for that info.